Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-08 15:17:42

mbnoimi

Auto mount on login

Hello,

Auto mount works perfectly in case I plug-in the usb external drive but it doesn't work in case I login with already plugged-in usb external drive.

How can I fix this issue?

I'm using Linux Mint x64

#2 2015-06-08 16:38:18

MountainDewManiac

Re: Auto mount on login

Use "Shut Down" instead of "Log Out," lol? Unmount and unplug your external drives before logging out, maybe?

Seems like a similar question has been asked before either at this forum or Mint's, and - IIRC, of course - I got the impression that it would be doable to set things up so that specific drives were the ones in question, but that a blanket "any drives, when they are plugged in, but only then" was... tricky. [DISCLAIMER: My memory isn't great, and sometimes my "helpful" brain sort of fills in the gaps with things that might not be accurate.]

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2015-06-08 16:38:21

ToZ
Administrator

Have a read through this thread about a similar issue. The last post points to a solution from ubuntuforums that works around this limitation and automatically mounts on login. It may be specific to the *buntus, so you may need to tweak for other distros.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2015-08-02 21:04:25

inodeman

I have the same issue when bringing up xfce as desktop. There is some form of xfce default that causes the udev rule for auto mounting the usb drive to be ignored. I don't think playing with thunar is the proper answer.

LXDE desktop always mounts my usb hard drive. With LXDE, the thunar daemon doesn't have to be running. The problem is in xfce initialization...I would guess. Until someone can post a definitive solution to this problem, I'll be sticking with LXDE.

#5 2015-08-02 23:56:19

MountainDewManiac

inodeman wrote:

With LXDE, the thunar daemon doesn't have to be running.

I thought LXDE's "file manager of choice" was PCManFM (instead of Thunar). If so, it probably has other methods for doing what Xfce does (err... tries to do wink ) with Thunar.

mbnoimi wrote:

Auto mount works perfectly in case I plug-in the usb external drive but it doesn't work in case I login with already plugged-in usb external drive.

Just out of curiosity, by that description are you meaning in cases where you have just powered up the computer and are logging in, or after you - or another user - have already been logged in, then logged out, and you are logging in to a computer that has already been in use? Or is it failing to automount USB devices in both of those situations?

I'm - by far, lol - no expert, so this is just a WAG... But would it be helpful to introduce some kind of delay between when the system loads whatever it is that actually does the checking for devices and then mounts them and the point at which it actually does this? I'm wondering if whatever it is gets "called into action" (so to speak) before it has completely loaded, initialized, and (if applicable) loaded in any helpers and they have come to be ready to operate.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#6 2015-08-03 04:39:58

inodeman

In my case, I'm referring only to the case of a cold boot, or restart with just me as user logging in.

#7 2015-08-03 12:32:20

ToZ
Administrator

Have you tried this?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#8 2015-08-05 03:38:59

inodeman

Nope. Adding startup scripts in a login shell is not for me. Just the thought of it makes a lazy bum like me look harder for an easier way out. So.....I took a stroll through the "Settings" menu in xfce. Found Disk Manager, and lo, and behold, my usb drive partitions were there, but no check marks in the "Enabled" column.

Two check marks added, rebooted, and there we go, both usb partitions mounted.

Anyway, thanks for the kick in the rear end.

Board footer