Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-15 11:06:29

Hoppimike
Website

My feedback on Xfce :)

Hi all!

To be honest I just realised that I'm only using 4.10 (I installed it from the Mint 17 repositories) so I'm sorry if anything I say has been fixed already or has changed!

Basically, overall I love Xfce! So streamlined and attractive and easy to use! I love how fast it boots and how nice it looks when it does, and I love customising it.

It's great that it's lightweight but also feels modern and fully-featured!

I just wanted to share issues and niggles I've experienced though because I'd love to see it become even nicer to use!

OK so erm:

- The resize area around windows in many themes seems VERY small - like 1 or 2 pixels! This means that many themes' windows are very tricky to resize! I am limited to only using about a third or less of installed themes simply because in most they have this issue!

- It would be great to see a unified program launcher for the panel, so instead of having separate launchers for each app in there, there is simply one that you can add them to. This makes them easier to move around and keep organised! Admittedly though it's already much better in Xfce than in MATE lol

- Scrollbars often don't hug the edge of the screen fully when a window is maximized so can be tricky to click and drag!

- Perhaps an advanced menu setting? Although I understand that this and many more panel applets can probably be installed separately.

Erm, I guess that's it. So really just tiny little usability tweaks to make desktop use feel a bit more natural and fluid!

Most stuff is very, very good though and I think Xfce is in my top 2 open source desktops along with Cinnamon smile

So well done guys and keep up the good work - I'll try to check out 4.12 soon!

Bye for now! smile

EDIT -- Also wow the Whisker Menu is great isn't it! What a great plugin smile

It's as default on Mint Xfce but I added it from the repositories. Great little addition I think!

Last edited by Hoppimike (2015-06-15 11:35:10)

#2 2015-06-15 11:45:19

ToZ
Administrator

Re: My feedback on Xfce :)

Hello and welcome to the forums.
Some comments:

Hoppimike wrote:

Basically, overall I love Xfce! So streamlined and attractive and easy to use! I love how fast it boots and how nice it looks when it does, and I love customising it.

It's great that it's lightweight but also feels modern and fully-featured!

+1

- The resize area around windows in many themes seems VERY small - like 1 or 2 pixels! This means that many themes' windows are very tricky to resize! I am limited to only using about a third or less of installed themes simply because in most they have this issue!

This is because most of the current themes have only 1 pixel borders. There is an existing bug report about this - have a read to see what the developer says. There are other ways to resize the window as well: Alt+F8 works well. I also find that grabbing the top-right corner of the window is easier than the sides.

- It would be great to see a unified program launcher for the panel, so instead of having separate launchers for each app in there, there is simply one that you can add them to. This makes them easier to move around and keep organised! Admittedly though it's already much better in Xfce than in MATE lol

Not sure I fully understand this one, but you can add multiple apps to one launcher. This will create the effect that when you click on the launcher, it will "fly out" a submenu listing the other launchers. Something like:
6sNfSeE.png
You can also have a look at the quicklauncher plugin.

- Scrollbars often don't hug the edge of the screen fully when a window is maximized so can be tricky to click and drag!

There is a setting in Settings Manager >> Window Manager Tweaks >> Accessibility, "Hide frame of window when maximized" which might help. It also might be a theme issue, if the theme creates a trough around the scrollbar.

- Perhaps an advanced menu setting? Although I understand that this and many more panel applets can probably be installed separately.

Do you mean a menu editor?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-06-16 02:10:20

ozjd
Website

Re: My feedback on Xfce :)

Resizing can be done with alt + right click too, I find that the easiest way.

Agree about Whisker Menu, some distros are making it the default now, I know we have at Korora.

Board footer