Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-23 11:31:21

whateveryouthink

[Solved] Thunar - not possible to remove old actions (like in wiki)

Hallo,

testing debian wheezy with xfce4. It is impossible to remove old actions in thunar?

The xfce wiki says for thunar :

"Working with Files and Folders - Modifying Actions
(...) To remove a previously added action for a file type, bring up the Open With dialog as described above, right-click the action you want to remove and choose Remove Launcher."

docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/working-with-files-and-folders

Yes, indeed I see the Launcher, but it is simply not active?
Do I have to use a special keyboard-combination?

( And yes I can set a new action, but the old actions remain. )

Thanks for your answers...

#2 2015-07-23 12:01:30

Jerry3904

Re: [Solved] Thunar - not possible to remove old actions (like in wiki)

That Wiki entry seems incomplete and pretty unhelpful to me. You're right, the Launcher is inactive and can't be removed via the right-click --in 4.12 on Wheezy, at least.

Not sure I understand your actual goal, but here is the method I use and it might help:

• Right-click a file of the type you want to change > Open With > Open With Other Application.

• Select another application from the list, or enter a custom command (such as /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal.wrapper)

• Check "Use as default for this kind of file" at the bottom of the dialog box

• Click Open

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2015-07-23 12:02:35)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2015-07-23 12:31:24

hjudt

First, you can only remove user actions you created yourself, not other "preferred" ones that are provided by the system.

Next, there have been changes regarding the naming scheme of the userapp desktop files in glib which makes it impossible to remove actions created with an older glib. Removing user actions works correctly when they have been created with the same glib version. These files are stored in $HOME/.local/share/applications. You can delete the older desktop file and rebuild the database with update-desktop-database ~/.local/share/applications.

Edit: You can of course edit the other files in that directory to get rid of other "preferred" actions entries listed if you know what to do. It won't make much sense though, unless you've completely messed up and see too many entries and find that annoying. But cleaning the directory and starting from scratch might be the less tedious solution.

Last edited by hjudt (2015-07-23 12:34:22)

#4 2015-07-25 19:58:35

whateveryouthink

thank you all,

I had to edit the files stored in $HOME/.local/share/applications ...

deleting wrong selfcreated actions, saved as file in '$HOME/.local/share/applications' ...
deleting wrong actions in the file "$HOME/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list"...

and everything was like before. Wonderful.

@jerry3904: I wanted also to delete old actions, listed there

-----------------------------
BUT

a) the wiki xfce.org/xfce/thunar/working-with-files-and-folders is wrong:
"Working with Files and Folders - Modifying Actions
(...) To remove a previously added action for a file type, bring up the Open With dialog as described above, right-click the action you want to remove and choose Remove Launcher."

b) the "dialog: Remove Laucher" described in the wiki is also wrong or buggy: that made me crazy, cause it doesn't work...

This should be reported as bug and even the description in the wiki should be corrected.
----------------------------

#5 2015-07-31 12:29:53

hjudt

#6 2015-07-31 19:19:27

whateveryouthink

Hello hjudt, reported this Wiki-Bug here:
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12113

Would be fine if you could report this bug for thunar or glib...

Board footer