Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-23 19:11:47

Inoki
Website

Hey everyone

I'm an avid Xfce user for many years now.

I joined this forum for the sole purpose of being willing to contribute with artwork. The most repeated reason why many shun Xfce is because it doesn't have standardized Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) (or so I've heard repeatedly) like Gnome e.g. and because it is visually unappealing (just quoting what most users say), although we all know Xfce was mainly built for speed and functionality.

While I recognize the effort of some communities like Xubuntu and Shimmer Project to whom I am thankful for the effort they have put in in beautifying the Xfce desktop and making it more appealing for general audiences, I don't know the standing at its base. I've used some vanilla Xfce flavours offered by many distributions and the base artwork was... well...

I am already a part of the Ubuntu GNOME project where I already made some contributions and wanted to ask to whom should I turn in case manpower is needed in this field. While I cannot code Gtk+ themes (need to find the time to learn that), I could still be of help by coordinating the visualization of the desktop.

The devil's in the details.

Cheers!

#2 2015-07-24 01:19:20

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Hey everyone

Hello and welcome.

As you have noted, the visual appearance of any given Xfce setup is highly dependent on the distribution defaults. Each distribution configures Xfce's appearance differently. If you wish to be involved in changing the appearance of any given distro, please contact the distro developers directly.

If you would like to ask about or be involved in changing the default Xfce appearance, you'll have more luck contacting the Xfce developers directly via the xfce4-dev mailing list.

Just remember, "visually unappealing" is very subjective.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer