Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-18 18:03:41

amjafuso

thunar ftp:// no edit possible

I'm running latest sparkylinux xfce. Thunar let's me open remote ftp location. Listing files works properly and very fast. Once I try to open a file for editing nothing happens. Neither double click nor 'open with' fires a request to ftp server (I did debug proftd).

Drag a file from thunar to the desktop works.

Does editing not work?

#2 2015-08-18 22:26:21

ToZ
Administrator

Re: thunar ftp:// no edit possible

Editing a file on an ftp share using thunar works for me so I don't think its necessarily a bug in thunar.

What version of Thunar and gvfs do you have?
Are you sure that the user connecting to the share has the proper access rights to the file?

Also, the mapping is done via gvfs and is available locally within either ~/.gvfs or /run/user/<userid>/gvfs ("mount | grep gvfs" should help to find the actual location). Try opening the file directly using your text editor by finding it in the path of one of those locations (assuming thats where sparkylinux puts the gvfs mount). That might help determine if thunar (or something related) might be the cause.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-08-19 08:47:36

amjafuso

Re: thunar ftp:// no edit possible

Thank you very much for your help!

gvfs is missing in sparkylinux xfce.

Solution:

- sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse
- sudo reboot

root@sparky:~# mount | grep gvfs
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)

It runs very fast! This is absolutely great, working with remote data is now a breeze and is independent from any program.

You made my day, thanks.

Board footer