Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-25 15:21:21

jfmxl

[Solved] cannot change applications -> settings -> appearace

Hello,

I cannot change  applications -> settings -> appearace  on my brand new xfce 4.12 on gentoo. I noticed that on debian 4.10 I can not only change   applications -> settings -> appearace but also  preview them before doing so. No such ability under 4.12/gentoo.

I started to write before ... but then had a look and discovered more than 60 ... ebuilds? ... available on gentoo in addition to plain vanilla xfce ... so I installed xfce-base/xfce4-settings first ... and that was hard because I had to first install eix and run eix-sync before I could do that ... but I did that and installed ... emerged ... xfce-base/xfce4-settings.

And it made no difference at all. I cannot change the appearance of xfce to something more comforting and familiar than ... whatever it's set as now.

What shall I do? And thanks for xfce and for all your help.

#2 2015-08-25 18:34:44

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] cannot change applications -> settings -> appearace

I noticed that on debian 4.10 I can not only change   applications -> settings -> appearace but also  preview them before doing so.

What do you mean by preview? The only preview mechanism that I know about is a third party add-on called Xfce Theme Manager

I cannot change  applications -> settings -> appearace  on my brand new xfce 4.12 on gentoo.

Make sure that the xfsettingsd process is running. It is part of the xfce4-settings package.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-08-25 23:28:41

jfmxl

Re: [Solved] cannot change applications -> settings -> appearace

I emerged xfce4-session, added it to what's run at the default runlevel ... along with xdm, which wasn't running either ... now things seem ok. By 'previewing the appearance' I meant showing the changes that take place when a different setting is chosen. Now I can see the effects of choosing one of the various appearances when I choose it. Previously I could not.

Thanks.

Board footer