Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-04 22:27:01

X20055

[Solved] Can't suspend to RAM on battery. Can on AC.

This is "xfce4-power-manager --no-daemon --debug" output:

--------battery

TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:490] xfpm_manager_alarm_timeout_cb(): Alarm inactivity timeout id 4

(xfce4-power-manager:1554): libupower-glib-WARNING **: Couldn't hibernate: No kernel support
TRACE[xfpm-manager.c:490] xfpm_manager_alarm_timeout_cb(): Alarm inactivity timeout id 3

--------adapter

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:75] xfpm_dpms_set_timeouts(): Settings dpms: standby=600 suspend=0 off=900

TRACE[xfpm-dpms.c:348] xfpm_dpms_set_on_battery(): dpms on battery FALSE
TRACE[xfpm-battery.c:189] xfpm_battery_refresh_icon(): Battery state 1
TRACE[xfpm-battery.c:240] xfpm_battery_refresh_icon(): Battery icon xfpm-primary-040-charging
TRACE[xfpm-power.c:1449] xfpm_update_blank_time(): Timeout: 5
TRACE[xfpm-battery.c:189] xfpm_battery_refresh_icon(): Battery state 1
TRACE[xfpm-battery.c:240] xfpm_battery_refresh_icon(): Battery icon xfpm-primary-040-charging

(xfce4-power-manager:1554): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 167 was not found when attempting to remove it

How to fix it?

Last edited by X20055 (2015-09-06 13:02:28)

#2 2015-09-04 22:55:01

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Can't suspend to RAM on battery. Can on AC.

Hello and welcome.

A couple of general comments that might help your troubleshooting process:

1. The more information that you provide, the better the chance that you might get helpful responses. At a bare minimum, noting:
- the make and model of your computing device
- which distro you use and which version
- which version of Xfce you are running
- which specific version of xfce4-power-manager you are running ("xfce4-power-manager -V")
- other log file entries ("dmesg" while trying to suspend while on battery, /var/log/syslog, or journalctl if using systemd)
- what exactly do you see when you try to suspend on battery? Is there screen flicker? Or does it look like the event is just ignored?
- what method are you using to suspend your computer?

2. There is a possibility that this issue is the result of something outside of Xfce (system based). The first step should be to try to determine whether the problem only exists inside of Xfce or also outside.
- Have you tried suspend while not logged into Xfce or from another desktop environment?
- Have you tried suspending while at the login prompt?
- Have you tried manually suspending? From both within Xfce and from the console?
- Have you tried suspending from live cds of other distros?

Also helpful would be to see your current xfce4-power-manager configuration settings. These can be obtained by running:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -lv

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-09-05 12:35:39

X20055

Hey, I can't answer questions that I marked with # yet because I don't have access to that machine at the moment.

1. I am using Lenovo ThinkPad x201s with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. Base details are here:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X201s

2. The distro is Slackware 14.1-current. Kernel 4-1-6 has been modified by a tiny bit because I wanted to compile in few unrelated modules. From manually installed packages that could interfere there was only TLP that I could remember - laptop power saving pack. But after removing it nothing has changed.

3. Xfce4 Version 4.12 distributed by Slackware

4. Xfce4 Power Manager 1.4.4

5. #

6. Nothing, because screen is set to blank first. When I disable it only tiny popup shows in top right corner saying "no kernel support", no blinking or any effects.

7. Suspend after time set in Xfce4 Power Manager GUI. Minimum there is 15 minutes, but in settings I can lower it further. This problem does not occur when running on AC. Also when running on battery I can suspend it normally when closing lid/using key combination/typing 'pm-suspend'/etc - it works there.

8. No, I don't have anything beside Xfce4.

9. #

10. Yes, as I wrote above it works properly from both AC and BAT.

11. Yes, different pre-configured live distros with Xfce4 worked normally. I can't answer did it work normally with shipped Slackware 14.1-current but I suspect it was fine and my problem is related to configuration.

12. #

Last edited by X20055 (2015-09-05 12:40:23)

#4 2015-09-05 13:14:40

ToZ
Administrator

So to summarize from the information above, suspend works fine in battery mode if you trigger the suspend action via closing the lid or manually issuing a suspend command. Where it doesn't work, is when you let it time out as per the settings in xfce4-power-manager and it should suspend automatically.

When you have access to the machine, can you post back your configuration settings:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -lv

Also, there are newer version of the xfce4-power-manager available - the 1.5.x series - can you see if slackware has any of the newer versions packaged that you could try?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2015-09-05 20:45:13

X20055

Yes, it only doesn't work on timeout with BAT. Everything else is perfect. What I did not write, I am using only suspend to RAM as I don't use swap partition/file.

5. I have ran both just after I got battery sleep error displayed on the screen. It was 22:30 on laptop clock when it happend.

Dmesg: pastebin.com/khu0iY4u
syslog: pastebin.com/a5QkCjTN

9. Yes, it works properly.

12. I am using "inactivity-on-battery 1" only for testing purposes as GUI lets only to drop it down to 15 on this power-manger version.

/xfce4-power-manager/blank-on-ac                        5
/xfce4-power-manager/blank-on-battery                   0
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-level-on-battery        10
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-on-battery              9
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-switch                  0
/xfce4-power-manager/brightness-switch-restore-on-exit  0
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-enabled                       true
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-battery-off                0
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-battery-sleep              0
/xfce4-power-manager/handle-brightness-keys             true
/xfce4-power-manager/hibernate-button-action            1
/xfce4-power-manager/inactivity-on-ac                   15
/xfce4-power-manager/inactivity-on-battery              1
/xfce4-power-manager/lid-action-on-ac                   1
/xfce4-power-manager/lid-action-on-battery              1
/xfce4-power-manager/lock-screen-suspend-hibernate      false
/xfce4-power-manager/logind-handle-lid-switch           false
/xfce4-power-manager/power-button-action                4
/xfce4-power-manager/presentation-mode                  false
/xfce4-power-manager/show-tray-icon                     1
/xfce4-power-manager/sleep-button-action                1

13. Basically no, I am using most current Slackware with most current packages available for it and there is no power-manager there. It's quite conservative distribution, stable version still using 3.10.17 kernel. Neither Slackbuilds offer any newer version of xfce4-power-manager. I could try to compile one at best.

Last edited by X20055 (2015-09-05 21:00:09)

#6 2015-09-05 21:41:18

ToZ
Administrator

A. Do you have any problems with battery detection in your system?

Can you post back the results of the following commands:

xfce4-power-manager --dump
upower -d

B. Can you see if this helps:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -p /xfce4-power-manager/inactivity-sleep-mode-on-battery -n -t int -s 1

...this doesn't appear to be set on your system and I'm not sure off-hand what the default is.

C. If possible, since you've compiled your own kernel, can you boot with the stock kernel to see if the problem persists?

#7 2015-09-06 12:54:35

X20055

B. Apparently this command helped. Now it works also after restarts, so issue seems solved. Thank you very much!

I can still post those log files if needed.

A. Batteries were detected properly. I've tried few different ones.

C. There was minor difference in kernels actually.

Debug message in modified kernel "libupower-glib-WARNING **: Couldn't hibernate: No kernel support".

In original one it was "libupower-glib-WARNING **: Couldn't hibernate: No ######" where # was some message about missing swap space.

Sadly I don't remember it well and I can't reproduce it as command above fixed issue for both kernels. Also beside debug message nothing else was different.

Last edited by X20055 (2015-09-06 12:55:41)

#8 2015-09-06 13:16:05

ToZ
Administrator

X20055 wrote:

B. Apparently this command helped. Now it works also after restarts, so issue seems solved. Thank you very much!

Glad to hear it works.

This setting relates to the "System Sleep Mode - On Battery" drop-down on the System tab in the Power Manager settings. Interesting that it didn't exist in the settings. I guess it was set at Suspend and you never changed it? And I'm also guessing that with the setting missing, the power manager didn't know what to do.

#9 2015-09-06 13:43:42

X20055

I see. I can't remember but I guess I didn't see it there before. Also the kernel message difference is related to fact that in modified version I have completely removed swap support while in original I had it there but disabled.

Board footer