Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-06 17:00:47

Infected Neuron

How would I remove the Unity wallpaper manager and notifications?

I have an Ubuntu installation that originally used Unity as the default desktop. I installed Xfce and I uninstalled Unity, yet somehow the unity notifications and wallpaper show up even though Unity has been uninstalled. Whenever I boot up Xfce, I see the wallpaper that I want to have displayed but then the default Unity wallpaper gets displayed on top of it. I know that Xfdesktop and notifyd are installed. Whenever I get notifications, the Xfce notifications do not show up and the Unity notifications get displayed instead. How could I remove the Unity wallpaper manager and notifications?

#2 2015-09-07 01:36:57

MountainDewManiac

Re: How would I remove the Unity wallpaper manager and notifications?

Have you tried running Synaptic Package Manager (etc.), typing "unity" (sans quotation marks) into the search box, selecting the "Installed" tab(?), and reading the descriptions of the results to see which ones seem most likely?

If you do try that, it wouldn't hurt to make a list (on paper) of exactly what files you remove so that, if you have results not to your liking, you could install them again. I doubt that removing something that had "unity" in its name would cause your desktop to fail to run, but it might not be a bad idea to familiarize yourself with the terminal command for installing things on your system. That knowledge, coupled with a list of what you remove, would make an excellent "safety net," I'd think.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2015-09-07 04:26:59

Infected Neuron

Re: How would I remove the Unity wallpaper manager and notifications?

By using your suggestion I was able to remove Unity's wallpaper manager and NotifyOSD. Shouldn't have removing Unity removed the wallpaper manager and notifications as well? The only potential harm that was done to my system was that by removing unity-greeter, my display manager failed to load. I was able to reinstall it, but now I have screen tearing whenever I log in for some reason. But even then, it still feels good to have the Unity cruft out of my system.

Board footer