Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-08 14:38:24

speckled

[Solved] Keyboard shortcuts and multiple monitors

Hi there,

I use XFCE with three monitors and have the following problem: Applications launched by a keyboard shortcut always open on the first monitor.
For example, when I press Ctrl-Alt+T to start the terminal, it opens on the first monitor and I have to drag it over to where it should be (i.e., the screen the mouse pointer was on when the shortcut was triggered).

My mousehand must have circled the world just dragging windows to the proper monitors during the last years, dozens of times per day, so I'd highly appreciate if anyone had a tip on how to change this behavior.

Thanks in advance!

Norman

#2 2015-09-08 15:49:48

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Keyboard shortcuts and multiple monitors

Hello and welcome.

Which version of Xfce? I have dual monitors and with Xfce 4.12, the windows open on the monitor with the mouse cursor. I have the external monitor set to "extend".

You can also try to set Settings Manager > Window Manager Tweaks > Placement tab > "By default, place windows - under mouse pointer" to see if that works.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-09-09 09:12:52

speckled

Re: [Solved] Keyboard shortcuts and multiple monitors

Hello & thank you for the friendly welcome,

I'm sorry for omitting the version.  Before posting yesterday I upgraded from 4.8 to 4.12.

Thank you very much for the tip. It did not change the behaviour, but after further searching I found the culprit: an ancient .Xdefaults long forgotten about with lines like...

rxvt*geometry:   185x67+0+0

for my most used applications. Removing the offsets from the geometry did the trick. I guess my previous WM (Fluxbox) applied the offsets relative to the current screen.

Once again, many thanks for the help.

Norman

Board footer