Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-12 16:06:11

golfos

Xame

This short post about Xame which is an applications menu editor that works pretty fine. The author did a really great job.
See : http://www.redsquirrel87.com/XAME.html

#2 2015-09-13 04:32:28

ozjd
Website

Re: Xame

Looks okay, shame it isn't open source.

#3 2015-09-13 12:27:48

cmcanulty

I get this error trying it on xubuntu 14.04
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nemh/gambas3
[sudo] password for cmcanulty:
Cannot add PPA: 'ppa:nemh/gambas3'.
Please check that the PPA name or format is correct.

#4 2015-09-13 17:56:11

golfos

Sorry, I can't help. I run Fedora and the necessary gambas packets can be downloaded from official repos.

#5 2015-09-13 18:37:50

golfos

ozjd wrote:

Looks okay, shame it isn't open source.

I had a quick look at his site and his main activity seems to be translating mangas into italian ! So, I don't want to speak in his place but why not ask him to free the sources ? He could reply "oh, of course, I didn't think of it". Anyway, his program is a good solution for all xfce users complaining about this "frozen" applications menu.

#6 2015-09-13 19:30:17

sixsixfive
Website

so you need gambas and qt4 for just an menu editor? a bit too much for me if you can have the same with menuilibre & mozo, you could even write one by yourself with yad and your shell...

#7 2015-09-14 00:47:54

ozjd
Website

sixsixfive wrote:

so you need gambas and qt4 for just an menu editor? a bit too much for me if you can have the same with menuilibre & mozo, you could even write one by yourself with yad and your shell...

The gambas runtime files aren't very large, you don't need the full gambas ide. The qt4 is just the gambas-qt4 extension and only needed if you use qt4 applications.

#8 2015-09-14 09:40:34

golfos

ozjd wrote:
sixsixfive wrote:

The gambas runtime files aren't very large, you don't need the full gambas ide. The qt4 is just the gambas-qt4 extension and only needed if you use qt4 applications.

Same opinion on my side. And as it does the job, it suits me.

#9 2015-09-14 11:15:08

cmcanulty

sxixsixfive what is mozo I don't see it in repos? The reason I am interested is whisker menu gets tons of duplicates and it takes forever to delete them as as each requires change &  save and I have 18 xubuntus to run at a library. I also hide most items but then they disappear from settings manager also. I want the public to see just the basic items in menus but I need them all in settings manager which I also hide but open with a keyboard shortcut. thnak you

#10 2015-09-14 14:41:25

sixsixfive
Website

cmcanulty wrote:

sxixsixfive what is mozo I don't see it in repos?

its the mate fork of GNOMEs Alacarte: https://github.com/mate-desktop/mozo

#11 2015-09-14 14:59:24

golfos

cmcanulty wrote:

sxixsixfive what is mozo I don't see it in repos? The reason I am interested is whisker menu gets tons of duplicates and it takes forever to delete them as as each requires change &  save and I have 18 xubuntus to run at a library. I also hide most items but then they disappear from settings manager also. I want the public to see just the basic items in menus but I need them all in settings manager which I also hide but open with a keyboard shortcut. thnak you

Found this : http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/mozo

#12 2015-09-14 20:51:35

MountainDewManiac

cmcanulty wrote:

whisker menu gets tons of duplicates

Is that symptom indicative of a problem that you might be better served by fixing instead of editing your menu each time it happens? Sort of like, instead of pumping more and more blood into a casualty, it would be better to tie off the bleeder, lol?

cmcanulty wrote:

at a library. I also hide most items but then they disappear from settings manager also. I want the public to see just the basic items in menus

I don't use the things, myself, but: What about removing the menu from your panel(s) and replacing it with one of those "dock" things? You could add the applications you wanted the general public to have access to. I suppose you'd need to change the menu's keyboard shortcut to something extremely counter-intuitive (or remove it).

I still have "menu functionality" on my system, but for convenience I have added a third panel on the upper part of the left side of my screen. It's double-width and only tall enough to hold seven large application-launcher icons. I use those seven applications more often than other applications, so I can just move my mouse cursor to that area, that panel appears, and I can left-click on the application that I wish to run. That might be a little unwieldy if you have a lot of public-use applications, IDK.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#13 2015-09-14 21:42:40

cmcanulty

mountaindew that is an excellent suggestion, thanks!

Board footer