Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-12 19:45:29

pressanykey

[Solved] Switch out Thunar for Caja (Xfce 4.12 / Fedora 22)

(Xfce 4.12 / Fedora 22 / Latest upgrade)

I want to replace the thunar file manager with the caja (Mate) file manager (and not simply reset my preferred file manager).

So, I go to Settings -> Session and Startup -> Session (tab).

I select thunar and Quit Program.

Then I run Application Finder (ALT-f2): caja --no-desktop

The --no-desktop seems to have no effect in Xfce 4.12 Fedora 22. It simply starts the caja file manager window (as if I had launched caja from the Applications Menu).

I use this same technique in other distros to replace thunar with caja so that caja starts up with the session rather than thunar. And yes, I know, I can set my preferred file manager to caja. But I would rather start caja with the --no-desktop with the session so that caja manages inserted USB drives rather than thunar.

And, yes, I know, thunar manages USB drives nicely. But it doesn't always copy files from an ntfs formatted SD card correctly. Thus, my wanting to switch out thunar *completely* from my Xfce session and replace with some other file manager.

I know I've successfully accomplished this in other distros, using even SpaceFM.

Any ideas?

Xfce 4.12
Manjaro 0.8.12 (x86_64)

#2 2015-09-20 01:55:18

pressanykey

Re: [Solved] Switch out Thunar for Caja (Xfce 4.12 / Fedora 22)

It must behave differently depending on whether or not the mate-desktop is installed.

Xfce 4.12
Manjaro 0.8.12 (x86_64)

Board footer