Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-20 21:46:16

apurkrt

Thunar - drag and drop to directory filled up with directories

XFCE version: 4.12
I prefer the "detailed list" in thunar, and I like to move files around with drag and drop. I run into the following problem:

Example situation:
- two thunar windows open
- detailed view, location selector = toolbar style
- one at $HOME/foo/ , and couple of files here
- second at $HOME/bar/, which is a directory with lots of subdirectories (>20) and also some files

So, basically, this:

cd $HOME && mkdir foo && cd foo && touch file1 file2 file3
cd $HOME && mkdir bar && cd bar && for dir in a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z; do mkdir $dir; done
cd $HOME && thunar foo bar

and: View/View as detailed list + View/Location selector/Toolbar style

Now I want to move the files file1, file2, file3 by drag-and-drop from $HOME/foo/ to $HOME/bar/. So I select them, and drag them - but where should I drop them?

The problem is, the $HOME/bar/ is "full of the subdirectories", there is no empty space to drop the files to... Or is there?

I don't want to move the files into any of the subdirs, just to the currently opened dir ($HOME/bar).

Sure I could go up one dir beforehand, and then drop the files on the dir name. But that adds two extra steps - 1) go up, 2) find the target directory.

Or is there some easier way in this situation how to accomplish the drag and drop moving?

Of course there is Edit/Cut, Edit/Paste (or ctrl+x, ctrl+v), but it does not have the ease of drag and drop.

Perhaps the location input field ought to act as a "drop area"? (it does with View/Location selector/Pathbar style - but I prefer "Toolbar style")

Last edited by apurkrt (2015-09-21 08:25:38)

#2 2015-09-21 02:11:33

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar - drag and drop to directory filled up with directories

Yes, it is tough to find a place to drop in that view. I find that if you drop it on the column header bars, it will place it in the current directory.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-09-21 02:45:40

MountainDewManiac

I guess that's another reason that I take advantage of the "tabs" feature in Thunar instead of using two separate instances of the application. I also most often use the "detailed" view and have moved files many times in situations similar to what you described with no trouble. When I have two tabs opened to separate directories and wish to move a file from one to the other, I'll drag it to the other tab. If there is no "blank space" to drop it onto, I simply drop it onto that tab's "button" (IDK what else to call it) that is located directly above the tabs' titles. For example, if those button boxes show [{user name}] [Documents] [Fiction] [Authors] [Me] [Non-Published] because the tab is opened to the /Non-Published directory, and I want to move a file into it, I can just drop it onto that [Non-Published] button (the []s signify the outlining around each "button").

To the best of my (admittedly, imperfect) knowledge, the only thing a user gives up by using tabs in a single instance of Thunar vs. using multiple instances of it is that the user doesn't see both directories side-by-side. But since there is more to each window than just the display of the directory, and using two instances tends to double that clutter, if I was in a situation that required me to see both directories side-by-side (I could think of a situation where I might need to quickly check two directories - that had files with the same name - to see whether or not all file sizes matched, I suppose, but IDK if I'd actually need it in real life and someone could write - or, more likely, has already written, lol - a short program to do that automatically via the terminal, I'd think.)... I'd probably use a file manager that was capable of displaying two directories at the same time, without resorting to tabs, within the same instance of that application. IOW, something along the lines of PCMan File Manager.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2015-09-21 08:07:08

apurkrt

ToZ - you are right, dropping on the column header works. It's not very convenient, though, since the target is too narrow (see Fitts's Law). Thank you anyway, since it works, and it's infinitely better than nothing smile

MDM - by the tab button you mean the tab's "flap"? (the widget with the tab name and close button) Dropping on it does nothing for me. On second reading: you probably mean the "Location selector", when switched to "Pathbar style". Dropping on the buttons there works (regardless of using tabs), but I prefer View/Location Selector/Toolbar style, mostly because of the navigational buttons, which are not present in "Pathbar style".

The two styles could be actually combined together - take the nav. buttons from "Toolbar style", then add the buttons from "Pathbar style", and add an extra button for the possibility to text-edit the location ("notepad and pencil" icon). Perhaps I'll file a bug/feature request regarding this.

Thank you both, guys!

Last edited by apurkrt (2015-09-21 11:25:05)

#5 2015-09-21 23:05:12

MountainDewManiac

renergy wrote:

MDM - by the tab button you mean the tab's "flap"? (the widget with the tab name and close button) Dropping on it does nothing for me. On second reading: you probably mean the "Location selector", when switched to "Pathbar style". Dropping on the buttons there works (regardless of using tabs), but I prefer View/Location Selector/Toolbar style, mostly because of the navigational buttons, which are not present in "Pathbar style".

The two styles could be actually combined together - take the nav. buttons from "Toolbar style", then add the buttons from "Pathbar style", and add an extra button for the possibility to text-edit the location ("notepad and pencil" icon). Perhaps I'll file a bug/feature request regarding this.

Now I'm confused, lol.

Look:
screenshot-09212015-065758pm.php

I grabbed a file from one directory (opened in a tab) and dropped it onto the "button" under the mouse cursor. It moved to that directory. From one tab to another or not makes no difference, you're just dragging and dropping - moving - a file to a location. The only thing that detracts from this feature in my opinion is that the directory displayed in the tab that you're focused on changes to the directory signified by the "button" that your mouse cursor is hovering over - but that might be considered a feature in some people's eyes (and it's easy to switch back, so...).

Does the screenshot help?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#6 2015-09-22 07:08:25

apurkrt

MDM, thank you for the screenshot.

These folders' buttons (parent folder(s) + current folder) are present only if  "View/Location Selector" is set to "Pathbar Style".

I prefer the "View/Location Selector/Toolbar Style". There is textual input box instead of the folders' buttons in this case, and this input box does not work as a "drop area".

Thanks again!

Last edited by apurkrt (2015-09-22 08:13:17)

#7 2015-09-22 07:51:19

MountainDewManiac

Ah, I see now what you mean. Apologies for misunderstanding.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

Board footer