Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-22 08:12:29

nydn

Automatically mark out characters in new window

Hey there everyone!

I have a very specific problem. We try to replace our current Windows XP/7 machines with Linux (Mint 17.2 as of now, could change later). These machines run a program which communicate with a database and in this program you have to write in the amount of manufactured products by hand. The problem is, on Windows when the input window comes up the default character (which is a 0)  are automatically marked out, so when a user writes in something, the default character gets deleted. However on XFCE4, when the input window comes up, the default character is not marked out and the cursor stands before the default character and now every amount gets appended by a 0. So for example, when I input 43132 the stored amount will be 431320 if I don't delete that 0 first (and yes, I know it's about 0.1s to press that delete key before inputting anything, but apparently users in the plant just cannot understand that).

So, in short, is that possible to mark out the input prompt on window when it comes up in XFCE4?

xfwm version is 4.12.3

I'm sorry if my description is not understandable enough, in that case please feel free to ask any questions.

#2 2015-09-22 13:32:47

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Automatically mark out characters in new window

Hello and welcome.

These machines run a program which communicate with a database...

What kind of program is this? Is it a custom-built windows app (running through wine), a linux app, or a web front-end (running java, javascript, etc)?

when the input window comes up the default character (which is a 0)  are automatically marked out

What do you mean by "marked out"?

At first read, this seems more like a programming issue - one where the application being used isn't properly designed to make use of the gtk2 and/or gtk3 toolkit functionalities.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-09-23 02:21:01

MountainDewManiac

ToZ wrote:

windows app (running through wine)

That would be my guess. Otherwise, being as it's apparently being used in a high-dollar (commercial) environment, the OP could just contact the developer and offer him a reasonable fee to slightly change how the application works (I would guess) or get one of his neighbor's reasonably bright kids to take a quick look at the source code, make a small adjustment, and recompile the application.

ToZ wrote:

I am not positive, but from the context, my guess is that the entry-blank defaults to a 0 input and - in Microsoft's OS - that zero is highlighted, so that if/when the user types something, the 0 is overwritten.

I don't suppose that there's any easy way to configure the OP's system so that it defaults to "overwrite" instead of "insert" mode? Apparently(?), the cursor ends up being to the left of the 0 instead of to the right (in which case, presumably, the 0 would have absolutely no affect on the outcome). My first spontaneous reaction was "Tell the half-operators to pay more attention," lol, but if he's got lots of operators and they're doing the routine hundreds of times each and every workday, well, I can understand that it'd be a bigger issue than it would if a home user only encountered it once in a while.

Then again, a lot of people are looking for work these days, so reminding the employees that accuracy IS, after all, important and that the door is right over there could turn out to be the easiest solution wink . I bet almost every one of them could quickly learn to hit the Home key before typing anything else....

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2015-09-23 02:23:15)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2015-09-24 09:07:28

nydn

Hello!

What kind of program is this?

Sorry, forgot to mention it, but it's running through wine, as both of you have guessed it right.

I was not sure what is the proper term for it but now it seems highlighting describes it better.
And MountainDewManiac got it right:

entry-blank defaults to a 0 input and - in Microsoft's OS - that zero is highlighted, so that if/when the user types something, the 0 is overwritten.

There are a lot of operators (talking about hundreds) and yes, they are doing the same routine several times a day for years now, so "relearning the process" is not an option now.

just contact the developer and offer him a reasonable fee to slightly change how the application works

Yes, that would be next step, but again, it's a bit problematic.

Board footer