Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-25 10:14:31

Sharky

Auto-disable 2nd panel when 2nd monitor absent?

Hi all. My office setup is laptop + second monitor, and for this I have 2 panels (panel0 & panel per convention). This is fine.

When I'm away from the office & only on the laptop, panel1 slides back over, on top of panel0. This isn't AWFUL, since they have mostly the same icons, but what's the best way to deal with this?

- Delete panel1? (if I later add a panel back will it be prepopulated with my preferred panel1 setup? I assume not right?)
- Setup a script that says "if there's a second monitor, spawn panel1 to it, else hide panel1"?

Cheers!

#2 2015-10-16 12:28:22

SeoulBigChris

Re: Auto-disable 2nd panel when 2nd monitor absent?

I have the same issue here.  What you can do is to set the panel preference "Automatically Hide The Panel" to "Always" when the external monitor isn't plugged in.  When you do connect the second montor, drag the panel over and change the same property to "Never".

#3 2015-10-16 12:33:12

Sharky

Re: Auto-disable 2nd panel when 2nd monitor absent?

Aye, this is what I'm doing now. Feels like there's no standard solution then? Potentially could make a workaround script, like

if(second monitor = TRUE) then: panel1 autohide="never" & panel1 location=monitor2, else: panel1 autohide="always"

To run at startup and be triggered by monitor add/remove?

Full disclosure: I have NO idea how to do this! smile

Board footer