Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-27 20:26:24

HusseinMoussa

GUI Network calculator taskbar addon?

I use Mint 17.2 xfce (of course!)  64 bit.

I want to know if there's a Network traffic calculator taskbar addon on xfce or not, other than vnstat?

#2 2015-09-27 21:07:00

ToZ
Administrator

Re: GUI Network calculator taskbar addon?

What do you consider a "Network traffic calculator"? To me its something that helps you to determine the amount of bandwidth a site will require to function optimally.

If you are looking for network traffic monitors, there is:
- Netload Monitor Plugin
- Hardware Monitor Plugin
- System Info Plugin

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-09-27 21:18:41

HusseinMoussa

ToZ wrote:

What do you consider a "Network traffic calculator"? To me its something that helps you to determine the amount of bandwidth a site will require to function optimally.

If you are looking for network traffic monitors, there is:
- Netload Monitor Plugin
- Hardware Monitor Plugin
- System Info Plugin

Yeah something that calculates my live/daily/weekly/monthly bandwidth usage. I noticed that Netload only shows the "load" on the network but doesn't add them up to give a total of usage. in Gnome there's a data usage information tab that I use when I'm on Gnome. But I would like to stick with xfce. Is there something like it on xfce? Or I mean better yet: Can I suggest to create something like that in xfce??? smile

I'm checking them out on. But I'm kind of a beginner user. Sorry. Could you please tell me how to install them? smile Or just give me links to guide me how if you don't have time and I'll take it from there. smile

Last edited by HusseinMoussa (2015-09-27 21:23:02)

#4 2015-09-27 22:40:05

ToZ
Administrator

It looks like Netload is in the Mint repositories. Search for and install xfce4-netload-plugin. In the plugins list, it is called "Network Monitor".

The other two don't appear to be in the Mint repositories and need to be compiled.

There is also the xfce4-xfapplet-plugin that allows you to use gnome plugins in Xfce. This plugin is available in the Mint repositories. Perhaps this is the best option as it should let you use the gnome plugin.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2015-09-27 22:42:38

HusseinMoussa

ToZ wrote:

It looks like Netload is in the Mint repositories. Search for and install xfce4-netload-plugin. In the plugins list, it is called "Network Monitor".

The other two don't appear to be in the Mint repositories and need to be compiled.

There is also the xfce4-xfapplet-plugin that allows you to use gnome plugins in Xfce. This plugin is available in the Mint repositories. Perhaps this is the best option as it should let you use the gnome plugin.

When I used Gnome. The network traffic facility was in the "task manager" itself. Not a stand-alone applet. Will I be able to install that? install the Gnome taskmanager I mean?

#6 2015-09-27 23:15:14

ToZ
Administrator

Probably not. The applet only incorporates Gnome applets, not stand-alone apps.

However, there is no reason you can't install the gnome taskmanager in Xfce. It may drag in a few other gnome dependencies, but it will run.

#7 2015-09-27 23:16:36

HusseinMoussa

ToZ wrote:

Probably not. The applet only incorporates Gnome applets, not stand-alone apps.

However, there is no reason you can't install the gnome taskmanager in Xfce. It may drag in a few other gnome dependencies, but it will run.

Ok, I'll try that.

Do you know where I can suggest an app like this to the developers of xfce? I mean the appropriate channel?

#8 2015-09-28 02:26:53

ToZ
Administrator

HusseinMoussa wrote:

Do you know where I can suggest an app like this to the developers of xfce? I mean the appropriate channel?

To be honest with you, unless you're willing to develop it, it will probably go nowhere. Xfce has a task manager of its own. You mentioned in your Hello post that you might have an interest in programming. Perhaps enhancing the existing Xfce task manager is an option.

#9 2015-09-28 02:30:23

HusseinMoussa

ToZ wrote:
HusseinMoussa wrote:

To be honest with you, unless you're willing to develop it, it will probably go nowhere. Xfce has a task manager of its own. You mentioned in your Hello post that you might have an interest in programming. Perhaps enhancing the existing Xfce task manager is an option.

Of course I'm willing to. But that's not going to be in the near future though. sad I'll work on it as soon as I'm able to. smile

Board footer