Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-07 17:34:09

franklinr

Run Windows theme on Xfce?

I would like to change the background wallpaper to look like Windows 7 or XP. How do I do it on Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce?

#2 2015-10-07 19:30:50

MountainDewManiac

Re: Run Windows theme on Xfce?

Probably the easiest way would be to view the file's directory in Thunar, right-click on the file, and left-click on the "Set as wallpaper" option. Or you could move it into the directory where your other wallpapers are stored and then select it in the usual fashion (right-click on desktop, left-click on "Desktop Settings...," et cetera).

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2015-10-07 20:05:10

franklinr

MDM thanks for your reply. I'm a longtime Windows user and trainer but a newby on Linux. Need a longer and more explanatory comment. For instance, what is "the usual fashion?" What is Thunar? Please try again, I need the help here.

#4 2015-10-07 22:07:38

MountainDewManiac

Sorry, I thought you had already used Xfce for at least a few minutes and did not realize that this was more of a question in preparation to doing so.

Thunar is the default Xfce file manager. It works sort of like Microsoft's File Explorer (aka "Windows Explorer," IIRC) except that there's generally less shouting and throwing things involved.

Xfce is a DE (desktop environment); I guess the Microsoft equivalent would be, well, Windows™. It might be installed in your distro (OS, sort of) by default or you might choose to install it after installing the distro. Xfwm is Xfce's WM (window manager); I guess the Microsoft equivalent would be, again, Windows™ (they might be called different things, but since Microsoft makes it either difficult or impossible to change them...). There are a couple of other "main components" of Xfce which a user can choose to change, but I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.

I suggest you take the plunge and jump right in. A few minutes of exploring can teach you a lot, and an evening can see your system customized (in MANY ways - this is, after all, linux) to suit you. Running Synaptic Package Manager (err... a software installation/removal tool) and spending a few hours browsing the tens of thousands of applications that can be quickly and easily installed from your distro's repos (file repositories - I don't know that there is an equivalent in the Microsoft world roll ) without ever having to do any searching on the Internet or worrying about the possibility of installing malicious applications, applications that have been modified to be malicious by the entity that is hosting the file and sending it to you, or choosing to install one application and ending up having those little bonus applications that seem to be common in the Microsoft world (IOW, spyware/adware/viruses) can also be an interesting experience and help you get the system that YOU want.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer