Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-14 09:57:18

hacknix

[Solved] Icons missing on desktop and in file manager

On a fresh MINT 17 xfce install, after changing icon and gtk themes, the folder icons of most themes don't show up on the desktop and partially also in Thunar it is the same. (see screenshot)
Initially it always showed ugly Gnome icons instead of these from the chosen theme in xfce.theme manager, which led me to believe after deleting Gnome iconset from usr/share/icons/Gnome it would force to display the correct ones. But it doesn't.  I did log in & out, shutdown and restarted several times. I tried  to update gtk icon cache with terminal and rebuild database with xfce theme manager. No effect at all.

Screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/1WE8Z2r.jpg

#2 2015-11-14 13:46:49

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Icons missing on desktop and in file manager

Which icon theme is that? Does changing back to the default icon theme that is shipped with Mint help? Also have a look at ~/.gtkrc-2.0 in your home directory to see if it may be specifying an icon theme to use. If so, it would override whatever you set in the appearance manager.'

You'll also want to re-install the gnome icon theme - its an important fallback theme.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-11-15 16:34:37

hacknix

It's basically all iconsets besides a few which work flawlessly. The default Mint-X themes do work, Numix-circle-elementary, Sardi-flat-black, Sardi-Faenza-Black, and Sardi red also work, all others (a couple of other Sardi iconthemes, flattr, ultra-flat, a few numix ones)  have this weird problem with folder icons. The weird thing is that all the .png/.svg for folder in the places section of the themes in usr/share/icons are there where they should be.

#4 2015-11-16 02:32:21

hacknix

Issue has been solved. Thunar seems to have problems with depicting .svg files by default, so using any theme that uses .svg instead of .png for the places icons will lead to problems.

Depending on where the icons are stored all that needs to be done is using one line in Terminal on the weird acting icon theme:

sudo ln -s /usr/share/icons/my-icon-theme/places/scalable/folder.png /usr/share/icons/my-icon-theme/places/scalable/inode-directory.png

or

ln -s ~/.icons/my-icon-theme/scalable/places/folder.png ~/.icons/my-icon-theme/scalable/places/inode-directory.png

Solution is from this blog entry:

https://urukrama.wordpress.com/2014/12/ … er-icons//

Board footer