Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-15 22:23:00

Crippled

CD runs but I see nothing.

I just started using Manjaro 15.09 Xfce and on their forum they haven't been able to help me much. At first when I inserted a CD it wouldn't run, but help from the Manjaro forum helped that part but nothing else happens. How do I view what's on the disk? Please tell me how to correct using the GUI only.

MX-17.1 Linux, Xfce 4.12.3

#2 2015-11-15 22:54:56

ToZ
Administrator

Re: CD runs but I see nothing.

What kind of CD is it (what is on it) and what are you expecting will happen when it "runs"?

If the CD is properly being recognized, you should see an icon in the "Devices" section (sidepane) of Thunar, and clicking on it should display its contents in the main area. You should also make sure that automounting is setup properly.

See: http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/using-removable-media.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-11-15 23:06:25

Crippled

ToZ wrote:

What kind of CD is it (what is on it) and what are you expecting will happen when it "runs"?

If the CD is properly being recognized, you should see an icon in the "Devices" section (sidepane) of Thunar, and clicking on it should display its contents in the main area. You should also make sure that automounting is setup properly.

See: http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/using-removable-media.

It's a regular CD with text documents and photos. I expect it to open automatically so I can view it like it did in openSUSE 13.2 Xfce and like in Windows. I see no icon in "Devices" section (sidepane) of Thunar. I checked that link and have it set that way. What could it be?

#4 2015-11-15 23:26:07

ToZ
Administrator

Can you check to see if the Thunar Daemon is running?
- Via command line:

ps -ef | grep -i thunar | grep -i daemon

- Via gui - start up the Task Manager and look for it in your list of processes. It should show up as a "Thunar --daemon" process.

If its not running, try starting it up by Alt+F2 and typing in (without the quotes) "Thunar --daemon".

Also, with the cd in the drive, can you post back the results of:

lsblk

...lets see if its getting recognized by the system.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2015-11-15 23:31:27

Crippled

ToZ wrote:

Can you check to see if the Thunar Daemon is running?
- Via command line:

ps -ef | grep -i thunar | grep -i daemon

- Via gui - start up the Task Manager and look for it in your list of processes. It should show up as a "Thunar --daemon" process.

If its not running, try starting it up by Alt+F2 and typing in (without the quotes) "Thunar --daemon".

Also, with the cd in the drive, can you post back the results of:

lsblk

...lets see if its getting recognized by the system.

[root@crippled-pc crippled]# ps -ef | grep -i thunar | grep -i daemon
crippled   741     1  0 18:15 ?        00:00:00 Thunar --daemon
[root@crippled-pc crippled]# lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0   300M  0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2   8:2    0 922.4G  0 part /
└─sda3   8:3    0   8.8G  0 part [SWAP]
sr0     11:0    1  50.5M  0 rom 
[root@crippled-pc crippled]#
What you think is the problem?

#6 2015-11-15 23:49:55

MountainDewManiac

Enclosing terminal output within CODE tags (IOW, add [CO DE] to the beginning of the first line and [/CO DE] to the end of the last line - without the space in the middle) makes that output easier to read.

Does the contents of the CD total approximately 50.1 megabytes? Or is that something else?

Was the CD burned on this computer / optical drive / OS? If not, did you properly "close the burning session" to ensure that it could be read on any computer / optical drive / OS?

What happens if you insert an ordinary music CD into the drive? Can you access (play) its content with an appropriate application?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2015-11-16 00:14:12

Crippled

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Enclosing terminal output within CODE tags (IOW, add [CO DE] to the beginning of the first line and [/CO DE] to the end of the last line - without the space in the middle) makes that output easier to read.

Does the contents of the CD total approximately 50.1 megabytes? Or is that something else?

Was the CD burned on this computer / optical drive / OS? If not, did you properly "close the burning session" to ensure that it could be read on any computer / optical drive / OS?

What happens if you insert an ordinary music CD into the drive? Can you access (play) its content with an appropriate application?

Regards,
MDM

I don't understand what you mean how to "Enclosing terminal output within CODE tags" Anyway. That one disk is 50.1 megabytes. I have a second disk with the same problem. One disk was burned on openSUSE 13.2 and the other was burned on Windows. I could see if the one burned on Windows didn't work but I find it strange that the one burned on openSUSE 13.2 doesn't work. They were burned on the same optical drive and closed. Perhaps both disks didn't burn right for some reason. I should have re-inserted them in the drive in each OS I burned them on to check them, my fault. Actually I put a DVD in the drive and it played. You think both CDs got burned bad?

Board footer