Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-19 18:11:10

Crippled

Mouse courser vanishes

I have Manjaro 15.09 Xfce 4.12. I notice at times the mouse courser vanishes. Now it vanished and I had to reboot the computer to get it appear. How do I fix this serious problem?

MX-17.1 Linux, Xfce 4.12.3

#2 2015-11-19 21:06:54

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Mouse courser vanishes

You'll need to do some more detailed troubleshooting to be able to narrow down this issue.

First of all, is it happening randomly, or does it happen consistently after a sequence of events? Can you make it happen on demand?

Secondly, look at the logs. For Manjaro, I would look at the journal to see if any error messages are displayed when the mouse cursor disappeared. Also look at your X log file (either /var/log/Xorg.0.log or ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log depending on how X is running).

Thirdly, try logging in using another account on your computer with the default settings. Does it disappear then as well? This would help determine whether it is a systemic (system-wide) or profile (user account settings) issue.

Four, your video driver may be affecting it. Again look at logs and ensure that video driver is updated.

If you can identify the cause, it will be a lot easier to focus in on a solution.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-11-19 21:32:14

Crippled

Ouch! This looks like this problem is really going to push my computer skills. "First of all, is it happening randomly, or does it happen consistently after a sequence of events? " This happens randomly for a second to a few seconds. I had the same problem when I used openSUSE, but it never vanished for good. Recently the mouse cursor vanish for good. Only a re-boot made it re-appear. "Can you make it happen on demand?" No. It happens with no rhyme or reason. "Secondly, look at the logs. For Manjaro, I would look at the journal to see if any error messages are displayed when the mouse cursor disappeared. Also look at your X log file (either /var/log/Xorg.0.log or ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log depending on how X is running)." How do I do all that?

Last edited by Crippled (2015-11-19 22:18:51)

#4 2015-11-20 00:13:15

Crippled

I am trying something someone told me on the Manjaro forum. It seems this is an ongoing problem. I was directed here. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=137080 I selected the last post and tried it. I renamed that file. I didn't post what I renamed it to because I don't know if that kind of language is permitted here. Let's see what happens. Only time will tell.

#5 2015-11-21 05:22:24

MountainDewManiac

Just curious, but does it truly disappear - or just become invisible? IOW, if you set your panel(s) to auto-hide, when it vanishes, if you move your mouse far enough in the direction of (one of) your panel(s) to ensure that - if it is still in existence - it would reach the point at which the panel should appear, does it do so?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#6 2015-11-21 05:32:59

Crippled

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Just curious, but does it truly disappear - or just become invisible? IOW, if you set your panel(s) to auto-hide, when it vanishes, if you move your mouse far enough in the direction of (one of) your panel(s) to ensure that - if it is still in existence - it would reach the point at which the panel should appear, does it do so?

Regards,
MDM

It becomes invisible and it's impossible to operate the computer that way because you don't know what you are clicking on. I haven't tried that, but since I did what someone directed me to a thread in the Arch forum it hasn't done that since so far.

#7 2015-12-08 16:04:52

Crippled

It looks like I still have the vanishing mouse cursor syndrome. It happen again but less often now. One thing I notice in most cases it will vanish just for a second and come back in Firefox. The latest one happen when I opened the Settings Manager and it vanished for good. When it happens moving the mouse around you can see the action of the cursor hovering over something but no visible mouse cursor. Getting the computer to reboot with it that way was very difficult. Once I rebooted it returned. I can't make this happen as it happens on it's own. Looks like I need some detective work to find the problem. Is there an event log in Manjaro Xfce like Windows has? If so, where is it hiding?

Last edited by Crippled (2015-12-08 16:17:00)

Board footer