Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-22 16:55:50

heyjoe

How to make laptop hibernate when lid closed and power is off?

I am using XFCE on Acer TravelMate 2410 laptop with openSUSE 13.2.

In Settings Manager->Power Manager->Laptop Lid I have set the condition: When laptop lid is closed and On battery - to Hibernate.

However if the lid is closed and the power goes off the laptop stays on. The only way to hibernate it in this situation is to open the lid and close it again - then it hibernates. But for some reason after powering it on after that the system behaves as if it has been shut down, not hibernated, i.e. it boots starting from BIOS, GRUB etc - the whole normal boot process.

I want to make it automatically hibernate when the power goes off (if the lid is closed) without the need of human intervention. I remember it used to be possible in an earlier version of openSUSE, 12.2 or 13.1 IIRC but I can't recall how I set it.

How do I do that?

#2 2015-12-20 00:17:12

torreydale

Re: How to make laptop hibernate when lid closed and power is off?

I don't understand what you mean by  "the power goes off and the laptop stays on."  But from what I can see, you might also want to look at your light locker settings and disable all of them to eliminate any conflicts.   (Menu->Settings->Light Locker Settings)

#3 2015-12-20 09:44:39

heyjoe

torreydale wrote:

I don't understand what you mean by  "the power goes off and the laptop stays on."

It means what it says: when the power goes off while the lid is closed the laptop does not initiate hibernation.

IBut from what I can see, you might also want to look at your light locker settings and disable all of them to eliminate any conflicts.   (Menu->Settings->Light Locker Settings)

There is no such menu here.

#4 2015-12-20 14:58:42

MountainDewManiac

When you close the lid, the power goes off? I'm a bit confused now, too. Unless... Do you mean that the... err... Okay, I think I understand (maybe?) - Your laptop is connected to AC power. You close the lid. Then "the power goes off" (either because of a failure, or because you unplug it from AC power) - and the laptop is still on (but now running on battery). Is that what you mean? If so, that makes sense, since the routine probably only checks the {AC or battery?} condition at the time you actually close the lid. The solution to that part (of your issue) would appear to be simple, either remove the AC before closing the lid, or configure your settings so that it enters hibernate regardless of whether it is on AC or battery.

Aside from that, have you tested to see whether or not your laptop (as it is now configured) is capable of hibernating when you select that option manually from the shut down menu? If not, you'll need to attempt to get the hibernation to work (at all). Some laptops apparently cannot be made to do this; IDK if your particular model is one of these or not.

Unless you are meaning something else by "the power goes off" (possible, since technically the laptop is still "powered" unless/until both the AC is removed AND the battery goes dead or is removed (I think)). Just like your toaster is still "powered" even when you haven't pressed the handle down and caused it to actually turn on and electrify its heating elements. Some (many?) people would consider a device to be powered only when it is actually turned on, which might be part of the misunderstanding (others might feel that the statement(s) were poorly worded and that that was also part of it).

IDK what country you are currently in, but here in the United States it is almost Winter and, for many people, experiencing their AC go off due to weather is not uncommon. Is this your concern? If your laptop is not technically capable of hibernating, does the suspend function work correctly? The reason that I ask is that I have put mine into suspend mode, unplugged it from AC in order to move it, and then forgotten about it until (late) the next day - and it was still fine. If your battery is not pooched, this might be a viable option. Of course, I once experienced a loss of electricity for over four days and IDK if a laptop battery is capable of supporting the suspend mode for such a lengthy period (it does, after all, use some electricity). My laptop will also enter suspend mode (it might be hibernate mode - it would make more sense if that was so, but for some reason I am thinking it is suspending) if the battery drops to a certain level. Regardless of whether it is suspending or hibernating, it does not appear to matter what the state of the lid (display) is open or closed.

If I misunderstood about what you mean, please clarify. EDIT: Also, please let us know what condition your battery is in. If it is in poor enough condition that it does not even have enough capacity left to power the laptop for more than a couple of seconds when you unplug it from the mains, then the laptop would not be able to successfully hibernate, because doing so is not an instantaneous process. I have not timed it (having no use for the function), but the laptop has to write the contents of memory to the hard drive.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2015-12-20 15:02:06)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2015-12-21 18:05:52

heyjoe

"The power goes off" means I unplug the cord to simulate AC power outage. The battery is fine and can hold for long enough. Manual hibernation works fine.

I do not want to "baby sit" and open the lid in order to hibernate the system if there is no AC power. I want the laptop to do it without human intervention.

Currently I have found a workaround by using acpid and a short script. But still it would be good to do it through XFCE directly.

Board footer