Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-07 20:37:46

Boubou

How connect to another computer?

Hi,

I'm new to Linux and I'm trying Xubuntu 6.0.6. Very nice.

Although, I can't find how to connect to another computer (tcp/ip network). I know the network is OK (I can run a ssh in the terminal with computers and network printer and I have access to the Net). But I don't know where I have to go to display the shared computers and files (in Kubuntu, Konqueror let you mount the shared volumes).

Perhaps, this issue is related with another one: I'm unable to configure the printer (a network HP officejet) because it doesn't appear in the Print Manager. And even with CUPS (with the web interface), I can't recognize it (I try with IP adress, with the mDNS name, nothing). The situation is funny because I can initiate a ftp session and print through it (to open the ftp session, I just have to ask in the shell ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx).

Does somebody have an idea!

#2 2006-06-08 21:30:43

bountykiller

Re: How connect to another computer?

What file manager are you using?
(If it's Xffm, I think you must be able to see the shares)

Se demander si un ordinateur sait penser c'est comme se demander si un sous-marin sait nager

#3 2006-07-03 06:51:25

sbuckner

How about if your using Thunar? 

I installed XFCE over KUbuntu and I had a 'Connect to...' menu in Thunar.  Since then I've flattened my laptop and re-installed using the XUbuntu distro and the 'Connect to...' menu isn't there any more.  Does anyone have a clue how to put one back?

#4 2006-08-03 10:22:01

barbex

For future reference and searchers like me:

This is supposed to work with nautilus but you have to stop it from stealing your desktop like this:
http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=2417.0

#5 2006-10-06 01:42:28

phatzac

the link seems to be dead?

#6 2008-01-16 16:08:22

barbex

Dead Link? Sorry.

Here is the short version: You have to use nautilus to browse the network but you have to prevent it from stealing your desktop by starting it from a terminal with

nautilus --no-desktop

Board footer