Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-27 19:05:45

DavidMD
Website

[Query] Install Latest Beta or Stable Release?

Hello, everyone.

I am reconfiguring my main Linux workstation (adding new hardware and installing the latest version of SuSE Linux).

I plan to install XFCE and to try using it as my default environment. I have experimented with XFCE on "live" Linux CDs, such as ZenWalk, but I will be a complete neophyte ("newbie") as a regular user of XFCE.

Should I install the latest beta version of XFCE or, considering my status as a new user of XFCE, should I install the current stable version? (I have been using Linux for four years, but have mostly used KDE in the past.)

Thank you very much, in advance, for your advice! smile

Cordially,

David
--
<http://ddickerson.igc.org/>

Registered Linux User #315892
"In a world of absurdity, we must
invent reason; we must create
beauty out of nothingness."
-- Elie Wiesel

#2 2006-08-27 20:58:25

geniux

Re: [Query] Install Latest Beta or Stable Release?

The beta release are quite stable, it was so when I tryed it out so I think it's even more stable now. But it's a beta and you can get unexpected errors using it, the beta releases are mainly for people who wants to test and report to the devs or if you just in to bleeding edge. I'm back to the stable version after some time with the beta release because I need a stable system at the moment. But you have some years of Linux experience so there wouldn't be too many problems for you using beta. I see no harm in trying out the beta release and see how you like it, if you're satisfied keep it if not install stable. Testing is the best way to decide, since it's hard for others to do it for you
Good luck, and don't forget to tell what you decided to go

#3 2006-08-27 22:04:07

s0ulslack

The beta stuff is more then suitable for everyday Desktop use, lots of people use it.  Xubuntu (or some ubuntu form) even ships with the beta stuff as the default DE.  I've ran the beta/svn stuff for along time with no errors or hiccups, 4.4 is worth the install smile

#4 2006-08-28 16:22:19

DavidMD
Website

Greetings, 'geniux'!

geniux wrote:

The beta release are quite stable, it was so when I tryed it out so I think it's even more stable now. But it's a beta and you can get unexpected errors using it, the beta releases are mainly for people who wants to test and report to the devs or if you just in to bleeding edge. I'm back to the stable version after some time with the beta release because I need a stable system at the moment. But you have some years of Linux experience so there wouldn't be too many problems for you using beta. I see no harm in trying out the beta release and see how you like it, if you're satisfied keep it if not install stable. Testing is the best way to decide, since it's hard for others to do it for you
Good luck, and don't forget to tell what you decided to go

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I, too, need a stable system. I will be installing XFCE on my production tower. (I am going to upgrade from SuSE Linux Professional 8.3 to SuSE Linux 10.1, which apparently has some major bugs, although I am going to install the retail version to get support from Novell.)

The combination of a potentially buggy distribution, which apparently can be stabilized with upgrades from Novell, and the latest beta version of XFCE is obviously risky, but I can always get SuSE 10.1 stabilized (or install 10.0) and then install the latest beta version of XFCE. smile

I realize that the beta versions of XFCE offer the latest features, and given the length of time that each beta version is tested by users and the XFCE team, quality of each stable release is obviously as important as offering new features -- which I appreciate very much.

SuSE 10.1, I believe, comes with a version of XFCE, but I will not know if it is a beta or stable one until I begin the installation of the extra software included on the DVD.

Thank you again, 'geniux'!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

#5 2006-08-28 16:30:34

DavidMD
Website

Hello, 's0ulslack'.

s0ulslack wrote:

The beta stuff is more then suitable for everyday Desktop use, lots of people use it.  Xubuntu (or some ubuntu form) even ships with the beta stuff as the default DE.  I've ran the beta/svn stuff for along time with no errors or hiccups, 4.4 is worth the install smile

Thank you for your reply and advice!

I believe that some of the "live" Linux distributions that I have tried included beta versions of XFCE.

At this point, I believe that I will give XFCE 4.4 Beta RC2 a try. I should be able to tell if any stability problems are caused by SuSE Linux 10.1 or the beta version of XFCE, considering how long I have been using SuSE (four years). ;D

I plan to install some other distributions on my production tower after I get SuSE 10.X up and running. I want to experience some non-RPM-based Linux distributions, such as Debian.

Thank you again, 's0ulslack'!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

#6 2006-08-28 16:37:17

DavidMD
Website

Hello, again, everyone.

I am enjoying the XFCE forum and finding it very helpful. A great desktop environment deserves such a useful forum.

As I stated in my initial message, I have been using KDE for the most part (although I tried FVWM for a while, just to experiment with its infinite and confusing configuration options and files.) smile

Speaking of installing XFCE, has anyone used the graphical installer?

Is it simpler just to compile and install from source? (I assume that XFCE has a default directory that it uses.)

Thank you, in advance, for your input.

Cordially,

David

P.S. -- I have done technical writing for over twenty years; I plan to volunteer to help with the English documentation of XFCE, after I become familiar with XFCE, of course! ;D

-- Elie Wiesel

#7 2006-08-28 16:46:38

geniux

Hi again
I've never used the graphical installer but I've compiled from source and that went very smooth without any problems. As my sign says I use Gentoo so I don't really have to install on my own, I just did it to try ^-^ But a friend of mine said that the graphical installer worked nice and easy
Well, I say compile and install from source, but the graphical installer might be a nice option aswell. Maybe s0ulslack has tried it smile

#8 2006-08-28 16:59:39

DavidMD
Website

Hello, again, 'geniux'. smile

geniux wrote:

Hi again
I've never used the graphical installer but I've compiled from source and that went very smooth without any problems. As my sign says I use Gentoo so I don't really have to install on my own, I just did it to try ^-^ But a friend of mine said that the graphical installer worked nice and easy
Well, I say compile and install from source, but the graphical installer might be a nice option aswell. Maybe s0ulslack has tried it smile

I hope that 's0ulslack' has some thoughts on the graphical installer and will be kind enough to share them here.

At first blush, it would seem (to me) that it would be quicker to compile and install from source. (I will have to research the XFCE documentation to see if there are any special flags or options.)

I have scanned the Web site of the graphical installer and it obviously takes a bit of time to get things set up.

On the other hand, I have absolutely no idea what advantages or features the graphical installer offers! ;D

Thanks, 'geniux'!

Cordially,

David
--

-- Elie Wiesel

#9 2006-08-28 17:06:20

geniux

Well the advantage would probably be that it's graphical and thought to be easier to use smile , about the features I have no idea. I think that compile and install from source are faster

#10 2006-08-28 17:17:28

s0ulslack

Sorry, I've never used the Graphical Installer either but have seen alot of success with it.  I'm a gentoo person myself, using the fluidportage overlay makes installing the latest svn stuff cake smile

Sorry I couldn't offer any input/advice on the GUI Installer

#11 2006-08-28 17:19:55

DavidMD
Website

Hello, again, 'geniux'. smile

geniux wrote:

Well the advantage would probably be that it's graphical and thought to be easier to use smile , about the features I have no idea. I think that compile and install from source are faster

I've compiled and installed from source numerous times with Linux, using regular "tarballs" and pulling files from CVS, so installing from source is no problem for me, except when I run into major dependency problems.

I am assuming and hoping that XFCE has no dependencies that I won't already have installed. Have you found any dependency problems with XFCE?

The idea of graphical installers for Linux appeals to me, because I think such installers would be of great help to new Linux users, but I plan to install XFCE from source.

Finally, did you install any of the XFCE "toys"? Several look very interesting and useful to me, so I want to give them a try.

Thank you! smile

Cordially,

David
--

-- Elie Wiesel

#12 2006-08-28 17:25:50

DavidMD
Website

Hello, 's0ulslack'.

s0ulslack wrote:

Sorry, I've never used the Graphical Installer either but have seen alot of success with it.  I'm a gentoo person myself, using the fluidportage overlay makes installing the latest svn stuff cake smile

Sorry I couldn't offer any input/advice on the GUI Installer

Thank you for your reply. Gentoo is a distribution that I definitely want to try. (I have the latest version on CDs.)

It is good to know that you have seen success with the graphical installer. As I wrote in my reply to 'geniux', I believe that such installers are going to help new Linux users, if they become widely adopted.

Does the Gentoo fluidportage overlay take care of dependencies automatically, 's0ulslack'? If it does, Gentoo is even more appealing to me. smile

Thanks!

Cordially,

David
--

-- Elie Wiesel

#13 2006-08-28 17:30:45

geniux

No I didn't have any dependency problem smile
And again no, that time I didn't install any toys just a clean XFCE install, but they shouldn't give you any problems installing
Anyways, I hope that your install goes smooth wathever the way you choose to install smile

#14 2006-08-28 17:44:05

DavidMD
Website

Hi, 'geniux'.

geniux wrote:

No I didn't have any dependency problem smile
And again no, that time I didn't install any toys just a clean XFCE install, but they shouldn't give you any problems installing
Anyways, I hope that your install goes smooth wathever the way you choose to install smile

Thank you for your reply and the information!

In addition, I appreciate your wishes for good luck. You never can tell what will happen. smile

Finally, I am setting up a separate Linux box as a MySQL and Oracle 10g database server. Oracle 10g requires an enterprise server, but I am using CentOS 4.3, which is a "clone" of Red Hat's enterprise server. I plan to try XFCE on that machine, as well, after I am sure that MySQL and Oracle are installed properly and stable.

I have been impressed with XFCE, and dying to try it, for some time. I was always waiting for the latest beta version to become the latest stable one, but thanks to the help I have gotten in this forum, I am going to install the beta release.

Thanks for everything, 'geniux'!

Cordially,

David
--

-- Elie Wiesel

#15 2006-08-28 18:20:18

geniux

No problems, glad I could help you decide smile
If you want to install XFCE the easy way you should really try Gentoo sometime cool

Tell us how it went when you're finished

#16 2006-08-28 20:52:11

DavidMD
Website

Hi, 'geniux'.

geniux wrote:

No problems, glad I could help you decide smile
If you want to install XFCE the easy way you should really try Gentoo sometime cool

Tell us how it went when you're finished

Thanks again for your help! ;D

I will certainly let everyone know how the XFCE installs (CentOS and SuSE) go.

I have been interested in Gentoo since it was released. I have a broadband Internet connection (cable modem), so if I can educate myself about the Gentoo installation process, at least I have decent bandwidth! smile

Cordially,

David
--

-- Elie Wiesel

#17 2006-08-28 21:24:47

geniux

Looking forward to hear about a working XFCE install and what you think about it when you've used it a little. Most likely you'll love it as the rest of us ;D

If you follow the Gentoo Handbook (located at gentoo.org) line by line it's quite easy to install, it takes more time installing then other distros, besides LFS, but it's truly worth it. I've used it in 4 or 5 years now and I'm as satisfied as ever

#18 2006-08-29 22:48:55

DavidMD
Website

Hello, 'geniux'!

geniux wrote:

Looking forward to hear about a working XFCE install and what you think about it when you've used it a little. Most likely you'll love it as the rest of us ;D

If you follow the Gentoo Handbook (located at gentoo.org) line by line it's quite easy to install, it takes more time installing then other distros, besides LFS, but it's truly worth it. I've used it in 4 or 5 years now and I'm as satisfied as ever

Thank you for your message. I will definitely report back on my XFCE installation. I have quite a bit of work to do on my Linux production machine, including upgrading some hardware and finding time to install SuSE Linux and XFCE. (I am also looking for a new job, and spending as much time as possible helping my uncle, who has cancer, in any way that I can.) :-(

Thank you for the tip on the Gentoo Handbook, 'geniux'. I will check it out.  smile

Speaking of Linux from Scratch, I recently purchased the latest version of the LFS book. I intend to try Gentoo and Debian before I even thing of LFS, but I thought the book might make interesting reading. smile

Thanks, again!

Cordially,

David
--

-- Elie Wiesel

#19 2006-09-02 06:17:28

thehundredthone

as long as you're looking at source based distro's, take a look at SourceMage GNU/Linux

it's a fine distro. sorcery is written entirely in bash, and is a pleasure to use.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes
That way, if they get angry, they're a mile away and barefoot

#20 2006-09-02 16:27:49

DavidMD
Website

Hello, 'thehundredthone'.

thehundredthone wrote:

as long as you're looking at source based distro's, take a look at SourceMage GNU/Linux

it's a fine distro. sorcery is written entirely in bash, and is a pleasure to use.

Thank you for the recommendation of SourceMage GNU/Linux. To be candid, I had not heard of this distribution until reading your post. ;D

Incindentally, 'thehundredthone', I have been using Linux for over four years, but have used SuSE Linux exclusively (the Professional version, until it was dropped with SuSE 10).

I am very seriously considering Debian, especially in light of quality problems with SuSE 10.1, although I intend to make 10.1 work! smile

Thanks, again, 'thehundredthone'!

Cordially,

David
--

-- Elie Wiesel

Board footer