Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-29 15:44:56

DanteZCO

KDE and Gnome Programs

Noob doubt: What do I need from KDE and Gnome in order to run applications made for them?  :?

Small steps make large boredom

#2 2006-08-29 16:20:37

McMax

Re: KDE and Gnome Programs

all dependencies of desired programm smile
but at least kdelibs and gnome-libs

#3 2006-08-29 17:56:24

TomE

As long as you distro has dependency checking every thing that needs to be install for an app the run will be.
You will not need to the for example gnome-panel, metacity, kwin or any thing thats not a dependency of any app you install.

#4 2006-08-29 18:30:00

geniux

Looks like you're using Slackware, according to your avatar, then slapt-get would be the application for you. It's working like Debians APT-GET and takes care of all dependencies that's necessary for the choosen package smile

#5 2006-08-30 00:09:54

DanteZCO

Forgot to mention: I download software on my college lab. My home connection is waaaay too slow (56k), so I rarely use it for that... =P but I can use slapt-get to check dependencies and download'em at the lab, right?

#6 2006-08-30 10:57:36

geniux

DanteZCO wrote:

Forgot to mention: I download software on my college lab. My home connection is waaaay too slow (56k), so I rarely use it for that... =P but I can use slapt-get to check dependencies and download'em at the lab, right?

I haven't used Slackware in years so I don't really remember, but I think it's possible. Read the ReadMe file or any manual if they don't tell search or ask about it at slackwarehelp.org, they'll know for sure smile

#7 2006-08-30 21:15:40

DanteZCO

THX...1138  ;D

#8 2006-09-12 19:51:02

pcalvert

Based on what I've been told, I would avoid KDE programs as much as possible.  I'm not saying not to use them, but if it's a program that you use frequently then you may want to look for alternatives.  The reason is that KDE programs load a big chunk of KDE when you run them.  You may have noticed that KDE programs seem to take longer to load under Xfce than they do under KDE, and this is the reason why.

To some extent the same is true for GNOME programs.  However, the performance hit should be less, assuming that the programs being compared are similar (it's not fair to compare a small utility with something like OpenOffice).

We are best off looking for programs with minimal dependencies (if we can find them).  Here's one good place I've found:  www.gnomefiles.org

Look for applications that require GTK+ without mentioning anything about requiring GNOME.  Of course, if it's a really great program you'll probably want to relax that restriction somewhat and try it anyway.

Finally, I am by no means an expert on this; I am simply reporting what I've read and have been told by others with more experience than myself.  Perhaps an experienced developer can explain this better or, even better, tell us how to run KDE and/or GNOME software without losing much of the performance advantage we gain by running a lightweight desktop like Xfce.

Phil

"It's never too late to be the person you might have been." - George Eliot

Bernie Sanders’ biography

#9 2006-12-08 15:45:15

pcalvert

I thought I should post a follow-up message on this...

pcalvert wrote:

Based on what I've been told, I would avoid KDE programs as much as possible.  I'm not saying not to use them, but if it's a program that you use frequently then you may want to look for alternatives.  The reason is that KDE programs load a big chunk of KDE when you run them.  You may have noticed that KDE programs seem to take longer to load under Xfce than they do under KDE, and this is the reason why.

I don't believe that the above is 100% correct.  It really depends on the program.  Some, like Konqueror, are heavily dependent on KDE.  Those, you may want to avoid.  Others, like kppp, may only need part of KDE (usually kdelibs).

Phil

"It's never too late to be the person you might have been." - George Eliot

Bernie Sanders’ biography

#10 2006-12-12 12:38:19

Nick
Dev
Website

A couple of points
* KDE applications don't run 'slower' on Xfce, but the QT/KDE libraries aren't loaded when you start Xfce (we use GTK and some Xfce libs), so when you start (for example) Konqueror for the first time, the system has to load Konqueror, QT and various KDE libs into the memory, which (of course) takes some time.
* Linux keeps stuff in memory (when it's not running out of memory), so the second time you'll start Konqueror it will be a lot quicker: Most of the stuff in in memory, so the system only needs to reallocate parts (variables) of the library and run the application.
* KDE/QT libraries are (most of the time) bigger when GTK/Xfce/Gnome libraries, but that doesn't mean they're slower. Actually, QT is one of the fastest toolkits around!
* Application size matters, starting gimp takes longer than gqview. Also the number of libraries they're linked with.
* Try to avoid applications that use bindings (pygtk etc.), this only slows stuff down compared to linking the real toolkit (app <=> binding <=> toolkit).
* You can of course use gnome and KDE applications in Xfce, but it's better to use Gnome. Same toolkit (saves you some QT memory) and it's easier with themes and stuff.
* Some of the Gnome applications have compile options to disable the use of Gnome libs, this will also remove some features, but it might speed things up.

That enough for today...  :-*

Board footer