Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-12 05:37:44

pcalvert

What modem dialer do you use?

Those of you still using dialup, what are you using as a modem dialer?  I am using kppp under KDE, and I want to find a good replacement for it that I can use under Xfce.

Phil

"It's never too late to be the person you might have been." - George Eliot

Bernie Sanders’ biography

#2 2006-10-22 05:42:41

russ

Re: What modem dialer do you use?

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I used to use gnome's dialer on the gnome panel, but being a panel app this doesn't translate to xfce so I'm looking for something that put's a simple "dial" button on the xfce panel.

Russ

#3 2006-11-21 18:02:44

DragonBite
Website

Glad to see I'm not alone! 

I've had to use kppp in Xfce before, but that was in part because my wvdial was not configuring correctly and I could not get it to work.

When I added Xfce to an Ubuntu installation before,  I ended up having to open the Gnome's  Network Setup (for configuring interfaces and such) and clicking to activate it.  Clumsy and annoying but it worked.

This is similar to what I had to get into
(from osdir.com)
20.gif

[Edit]

Last Night I poked around and found the command to open the illustrated window to be

# network-admin

So I made that into a launcher button, but it would be great is somebody would create a network control like the Gnome applet

.....~
...('..')
.../.V.\
.//.....\\... To err is human,
/(.......)\.. to really foul up requires a computer!
.^'.~.'^..

#4 2006-11-25 04:34:18

SimonJ
Website

I no longer use a modem, but used to use diald a dial on demand daemon. Might be worth looking into?

Once set up it was entirely automated, if a network connection was needed it dialled, you specified how long to stay idly connected and whether to connect at boot.

Simon.                                                         (^_^)

TIP: Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
=====================================================================

#5 2006-11-27 15:20:24

DragonBite
Website

wow, that looks great!  That's one thing that I have missed from using Windows is automatically coming up with the dial-up dialog when I opened the browser (Firefox or IE), or any other program that needs the internet.

OF course chances are I'll get it all configured and working and then broadband will be available in my area roll

.....~
...('..')
.../.V.\
.//.....\\... To err is human,
/(.......)\.. to really foul up requires a computer!
.^'.~.'^..

#6 2006-11-30 21:03:05

Glanz
Website

pcalvert wrote:

Those of you still using dialup, what are you using as a modem dialer?  I am using kppp under KDE, and I want to find a good replacement for it that I can use under Xfce.

Phil

If you are using Debian or a Debian-based distribution:
I just use "pon" and "poff" as a regular user after running pppconfig (as su or sudo, depending on your distro/setup). After the initial configuration, go to "advanced options" and give yourself (user) permission to use ppp so you won't have to use a password every time you want to connect. Also it helps to give a short name to the connection name, like "z" or something. To connect use xfrun4 and issue the command pon z ... as simple as that. To disconnect poff z ...

Also during the configuration you will be asked if you want pppconfig to detect the modem... Answer "yes", but after, the window will indicate "manually configure modem", however, there will be a port identified in the imput area, just accept it because it's probably the right one. In any case, you can identify it yourself if you know the details also.

You can add "pon z" and "poff z" to the panel menu. You do not need to check the "run in terminal" box either.

pppconfig has always worked for me when all others (wvdial, KPPP, gnome ppp) have failed.

#7 2006-12-08 14:51:28

pcalvert

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I ended up staying with kppp.  I did some investigating and saw that kppp is not a "heavy" KDE application.  That is, it is only minimally dependent on KDE.  So I decided to try it under Xfce.  It works fine, and I don't think Xfce suffers too much from having part of KDE running.  I definitely prefer using a few light KDE apps under Xfce than using KDE all the time.

Glanz wrote:

pppconfig has always worked for me when all others (wvdial, KPPP, gnome ppp) have failed.

My experience is the same.  However, I prefer using kppp because it is easy to set up multiple numbers, multiple ISPs, etc.  If I ever have any problems with it, though, pppconfig is what I would rely on to get me back online.

Phil

"It's never too late to be the person you might have been." - George Eliot

Bernie Sanders’ biography

Board footer