Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-20 06:45:39

Sunnz

Is there a desktop shortcut?

Is there a Desktop Icon Shortcut thing where you click on it and it minimises all windows and brings you the desktop?

#2 2006-09-20 09:40:36

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Is there a desktop shortcut?

In the keyboard shortcuts from the window manager.

#3 2006-09-20 11:52:04

Sunnz

While it is nice to have a keyboard shortcut, I'll still like to have an Icon to _click_ on and brings me to the desktop...

Well I guess the desktop isn't used that often on Xfce...

#4 2006-09-20 11:54:57

SimonJ
Website

There is one, I can add to panel a Show desktop icon. Right click the panel and have a look at what is available. If not you might need to install/compile it.

Simon.                                                         (^_^)

TIP: Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
=====================================================================

#5 2006-09-20 12:02:01

Sunnz

Oh I am running 4.2 here btw so...

#6 2006-09-20 14:46:47

JohnW

Sunnz wrote:

Is there a Desktop Icon Shortcut thing where you click on it and it minimises all windows and brings you the desktop?

I'm running Xubuntu 6.06.1, which uses Xfce and there's an icon that does that at
the bottom left of the screen.  I don't know if Ubuntu has customised it in some way,
but as far as I'm concerned it came that way out of the box.  If you're interested I'll
try to find out what version of xfce it runs.

However, I can't find any keyboard shortcut to get the Application menu to appear.
Any idea?  Surely there must be one???

JohnW

#7 2006-09-20 15:53:39

Sunnz

I am running Gentoo here... the Xfce Menu isn't even in the Panel to begin with, I had to add it myself.

#8 2006-09-21 03:01:05

SimonJ
Website

JohnW wrote:
Sunnz wrote:

I'm running Xubuntu 6.06.1, which uses Xfce and there's an icon that does that at
the bottom left of the screen.  I don't know if Ubuntu has customised it in some way,
but as far as I'm concerned it came that way out of the box.  If you're interested I'll
try to find out what version of xfce it runs.

However, I can't find any keyboard shortcut to get the Application menu to appear.
Any idea?  Surely there must be one???

JohnW

Try this:

http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=2 … _next=next

#9 2006-09-21 11:00:33

JohnW

Thanks Simon, that's neat!  But it poses a Catch-22 problem.  How does a user without a mouse
(or unable to use a mouse) do that?

Would it be reasonable to hope that a design goal would be that such a user can use the system
immediately "out of the box", without having to get someone else to do this configuration for them?

Couldn't some unused combination (ctrl+escape?) provide this function?  (I have keyboards on
some older machines that don't even have a Win key).

JohnW

#10 2006-09-21 15:11:24

SimonJ
Website

I think the idea is to make use of an otherwise useless key.

I agree that a hard coded key set would be nice, but you have to make sure it's not in use in any other application. I think that may be the root of the problem, leaving it to you to make a key binding removes the problem from the XFCE developers.

You could post your config file so someone else merely needs to copy it into place.

Cheers,

#11 2006-09-21 21:29:18

JohnW

SimonJ wrote:

I think the idea is to make use of an otherwise useless key.

I agree that a hard coded key set would be nice, but you have to make sure it's not in use in any other application. I think that may be the root of the problem, leaving it to you to make a key binding removes the problem from the XFCE developers.

You could post your config file so someone else merely needs to copy it into place.

Thanks Simon.  How is someone going to copy it into place if they can't use a mouse?

As you say, it's conceivable that any choice may be used by an application.  Even alt+F4 may be used by an application. Do you want to see the system delivered with alt+F4 unbound?

If ctrl+esc were the default for obtaining the application menu, those very few (if any) applications that use ctrl+esc are already facing a problem with some other window managers.  Even so, that still doesn't block the non-mouse user from going and changing the shortcut to something more suitable for them.

JohnW

#12 2006-09-22 01:02:05

SimonJ
Website

JohnW wrote:

Thanks Simon.  How is someone going to copy it into place if they can't use a mouse?

It must be easy to download a file and then copy that file into a directory, even without a mouse. Lynx (or links) would do the job nicely.

Board footer