Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-07 18:09:25

jp magnus

Canon EOS digital Rebel XT, gphoto maybe? no luck there... yet

Hello

I just installed xubuntu on an old apple iBook (500mhz, 64MB ram, 10gig hd). I would like to use this computer to store all my pictures, but it won't detect the camera. I have tried it both in pc mode and in ptp (communication settings on the camera), and on pc mode it does nothing, in ptp mode the camera flashes "busy" but the computer does nothing.

I found a program called GPhoto which is supposed to allow you to connect to pretty well any digital camera, but here's where the other problem comes in: this laptop has no internet connection. I burned gphoto onto a cd and put it on the computer, ran ./configure in that dir, and it started going and then said there was a problem having something to do with c. I don't really know this stuff that well, but I'm assuming that it's a problem with dependancies or something which could be taken care of by using apt if I had an internet connection?

So, do I need to use gphoto, or could I get it to work without it?

ps. any suggestions for photo managing software? (I liked picasa, tried the linux version, but it's not supported on powerpc architecture)

#2 2007-01-08 02:07:31

jp magnus

Re: Canon EOS digital Rebel XT, gphoto maybe? no luck there... yet

...just did some research, haven't found a solution but this may be useful: lsusb shows that the computer knows the camera is detected.

#3 2007-01-08 02:56:47

SimonJ
Website

I expect Gphoto will work but you should install the deb and its dependencies.

If the laptop has no net access download an Ubuntu CD and add that to your apt list. Then install Gphoto along with all the libraries etc.

For info after installation try here

hth,

Simon.                                                         (^_^)

TIP: Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
=====================================================================

#4 2007-01-09 01:52:23

jp magnus

..."add that to your apt list"... uh how do I do that? "install gphoto along with the libraries etc" umm, what exactly does that mean?

sorry for my innexperience

#5 2007-01-09 06:14:30

SimonJ
Website

Sorry, try this.

Open a terminal and type sudo  apt-cdrom add

Then load the ubuntu CD as directed.

This adds the  cdrom files to your installable list.

Once complete

(back in the terminal) type sudo apt-get install gphoto

or

Open Synaptic and install gphoto by searching for it.

This will then install* the program, libraries and anything it requires to run.

* It should anyway! :-)

#6 2007-01-11 01:59:37

jp magnus

Ok, so I popped in the ubuntu disk, tried all that, get the message "could not find package 'gphoto'" so I tried some others like "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" and other programs that I knew were on there. none worked. I didn't forget to "apt-cdrom add".

Then, I realized: oh how stupid of me, I'm using the ubuntu 6.06 cd, on the system with xubuntu 6.10!! so I downloaded the 6.10 release of ubuntu (finnished by just past midnight) and by 1:00 in the morning I was getting thoroughly annoyed, because I had exactly the same problems. with the 6.10 cd I also tried synaptic, and I went "add cd" or whatever and it recalculated everything, and then, tadaa: the list of apps had no change. No gphoto, no gnome, ubuntu, anything that would be on that cd that wasn't on the list or was but was also on the list but not installed(I don't know if how I wrote that is logical, makes sense to me anyway).

so by this time I could have easily installed ubuntu fresh, and then tried just installing the xubuntu desktop over that. but I thought, no I'll actually work this one out (or I guess get other people to work it out for me(really really thanks by the way)). This way I'm learning and making it work instead of just giving up and trying something else. wow this paragraph is totally useless, sorry for the waste of time.

yeah so thanks for all the help so far!

#7 2007-01-12 15:13:27

SimonJ
Website

Okay, before anything works you need to get the CD to show up in synaptic.

From the menu, settings => Synaptic.

In Synaptic

Then click Settings => Repositories

The third tab is third party, click that, then at the bottom Add CDROM. If the Ubuntu CDROM is in it will just add it, if not it will ask for an (X)(K)Ubuntu CD.

When that's complete, close the software sources box.

Click Reload in Synaptic.

Now try a search for gphoto2 (That's what shows up here).

Hope it works!  :-|

Board footer