Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-21 18:28:57

bubazoo

nomachine FreeNX run XFCE?

I use FreeNX in Fedora Core 5,  and centOS 4.3, quite a bit, but nomachine's desktop client only seems to support KDE and GNOME desktops.

is there a way to have it bring up in XFCE instead?

XFCE is installed on the computer, it just seems like the NX client for WIndows doesn't support it or something sad  Gnome is tollerable, but KDE is just the WORST, so any suggestions offhand?

#2 2006-07-27 22:48:27

makisupa123

Re: nomachine FreeNX run XFCE?

It will work.  I set it up with little issue.  I think the only trick was setting the custom start command to 'startxfce4' -- wherever that may be on your system (/usr/X11R6/bin on my BSD machine).  If your more specific as to your problem maybe we can help you better.

Mak.

#3 2007-01-17 00:41:02

blkcamarozr28

Im running CentOS 4.4 with FreeNX. However, when i run custom "startxfce4" on my Windows client it see the desktop for a second then it errors out and disconnects. Am I setting something wrong? I can Gnome/KDE fine just XFCE doesnt work. sad

#4 2007-01-24 00:43:57

bubazoo

blkcamarozr28 wrote:

Im running CentOS 4.4 with FreeNX. However, when i run custom "startxfce4" on my Windows client it see the desktop for a second then it errors out and disconnects. Am I setting something wrong? I can Gnome/KDE fine just XFCE doesnt work. sad

exactally blkcamarozr28, thats the same problem I'm having

I tried it in both CentOS 4.4 and Fedora Core 6, still same problem on both platforms. I just assumed there was some kind of trick to getting nomachine FreeNX to work with XFCE, because I too can with Gnome and KDE just fine, just not XFCE, so I assumed it was XFCE specific.

#5 2007-02-11 05:27:06

mike.xfce

I'm running FC5 and nx client from my Win2K box runs XFCE4 OK.

I had to:

• Select Desktop = Unix/Custom, and then

• under Settings, "Run the following command" = /usr/bin/startxfce4

• and also Options = New Virtual Desktop. Without that I sometimes got the flashing window... not to mention that the panel, etc. were all in separate windows inside Win32 handled windows

#6 2007-09-18 00:47:04

berserk

thanks I needed that info! smile

#7 2008-05-04 02:42:56

dennis_matutina

Yes, I had the same experience on my Ubunto desktop. Even if I enable the New Virtual Desktop option, the windows are scattered and not contained within the main desktop. Its confusing and not very pleasing to use. There are windows that would not close even if you clicked it to close.

My interest in using XFCE is to have a lightweight desktop for remote administration using Nx or VNC. I've had little success with the latter so I shifted to Nx/FreeNx on a CentOS 5 server. Sad to say, no documentation is available on making this work, so I have to use Gnome which runs perfectly inside the Nx window...

I hope someone could offer or make a fix.

To the developers, I still believe in your product though, and would continue to patronize it in situations that its use would be advantageous. Remote Desktop (RD) is one such area, so may I suggest that a team should be tasked to handle its performance over RD protocols?  smile

More power

mike.xfce wrote:

I'm running FC5 and nx client from my Win2K box runs XFCE4 OK.

I had to:

• Select Desktop = Unix/Custom, and then

• under Settings, "Run the following command" = /usr/bin/startxfce4

• and also Options = New Virtual Desktop. Without that I sometimes got the flashing window... not to mention that the panel, etc. were all in separate windows inside Win32 handled windows

#8 2009-05-07 13:43:47

gwhittaker

I just wanted to add that if you follow the above steps without success, try flushing the session cache.  That's what I had to do (to remove all the effects of my previous unsuccessful attempts, I assume).

Just click 'Configure' on the login screen, go to the 'Advanced' tab, and click 'Remove all cache files'.  As soon as I did that, voila!  all was well.   Thanks for the helpful info.

#9 2009-07-23 20:24:18

sasajib

thanks guys for the reply...

#10 2009-08-20 22:42:47

Ammiddeon

MysteryFCM

thanks for the answer

Theres no option for this at present ......this is a idea for the future  developments

but you can have it do it by creating ....yes, but with this system, the appl  does not started minimize on systray

Bye

#11 2012-01-23 04:59:53

raihan0888

anybody here using centos+freenx+xfce in vps?
can you please read whole command i am stuck at that process in month long.your valuable comment giving me chance to pass this step.

Board footer