Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-02 20:10:21

Corge

Files parsed during startup and save during a session?

How can I save my current layout, i.e. which programs are running and where they are placed throughout my session without quitting? Is there a command I can execute that will save the session so I don't have to end the session just in order to save it?

What directory should I put files that I want to be parsed during setup? I want to add i.a. "xset"-commands there.

#2 2007-02-03 08:43:24

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Files parsed during startup and save during a session?

You can only save you session when you logout (because it absolutely useless to do this while you're still running a session). And use the xfce4-autostart-editor for running stuff when you login.

#3 2007-02-03 17:04:55

Corge

Nick wrote:

You can only save you session when you logout (because it absolutely useless to do this while you're still running a session). And use the xfce4-autostart-editor for running stuff when you login.

Thanks for the tip on the editor. But why is it useless to save the session unless you logout? I often just hit "init 6" or "init 0" when I want to quit and this doesn't seem to save any changes I did to my session, so I always have to remember to logout first instead.

#4 2007-02-04 10:49:12

Nick
Dev
Website

Well 'just' entering another init level is not very smart, because (some, it not most) apps crash then, so you can loose data.

#5 2007-02-04 17:25:31

Corge

Nick wrote:

Well 'just' entering another init level is not very smart, because (some, it not most) apps crash then, so you can loose data.

I'm aware of that so I make sure I don't have any data I care if I loose before I execute a command like that.

Board footer