Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-06 18:02:39

ghostrider.002

Kubuntu 6.10 and xfce4.4 install

Hello everyone,

First i want to say thanks to the developers of this project. Keep up the good work.

Now on to my little problem, I am running the following:
                                  Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy
                                  P4 based laptop w/ nvidia graphics

I want to install xfce4.4 along with my current kde, i downloaded the graphical installer and followed the steps to prepare it (permissions, etc) then i ran it (as sudo) it was doing well, i met all dependencies according to the first part of install except for i believe 3 optional dependencies. i got about 95% done than it failed. so i used the forum and got the repo address for my OS. i added the address to sources.list and apt-get couldnt find anything. but i was able to use adept package manager but as i started searching for the indiv. packages i realized that there is alot. well i went ahead and took a shot, when i restart and goto log in i select the session type as xfce4 and log in the as the mouse shows i am greeted with nothing but a mouse cursor, nothing else. i have to start the pc again.

Can someone tell me or direct me to a detailed list of ALL dependencies and related items that i need?
and i sthere an unoffical xfce4.4 documentation somewhere?

Sorry for the length of this and i really appreciate any help i can get.

#2 2007-02-06 18:15:11

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Kubuntu 6.10 and xfce4.4 install

Can you post the error message printed in the log?

#3 2007-02-06 18:42:30

ghostrider.002

Is there a default location that the installer saves the log file to?
if not i will reinstall and save it.

#4 2007-02-06 18:47:34

Nick
Dev
Website

Duno I though in the same directory as the installer... maybe as a hidden file...

#5 2007-02-07 07:04:16

ghostrider.002

Sorry for the delay in replying. I went and reinstalled to get a copy of the error log. But it did a successful install.
I still have the same problem.

I turn on my pc and boot to the log in screen
I select xfce4 from the menu
i get a white screen with the mouse logo in the center then it goes to my desktop color with my mouse pointer. i have nothing else. just a colored screen with a mouse pointer.
i did notice that in me session selection menu that i have (default, kde, xfce4, xfce, fail safe) would the xfce and xfce4 conflict? i tried both and i get the same result on both sessions. kde works as it should.

Again thanks for any help.
Joseph

#6 2007-02-07 08:47:45

Nick
Dev
Website

You can try starting the components individually (if that works). If you get the Run dialog by pressing Alt+f2 you can start the Xfce application (xfce4-panel, xfdesktop, xfwm4). If you don't get the run dialog, the xfce-mcs-manager is not running.

When all the application are running, you need to exit with saving your session.

#7 2007-02-07 19:58:35

ghostrider.002

I tried accessing the run command to enter the above 3 commands but nothing happened when i pressed alt + f1
i am wondering if i should just uninstall everything and just install xubuntu and upgrade.

i am trying to get a desktop sinular to what dreamlinux has but with a few differences to start.
Thanks again for the help.

#8 2007-02-07 21:39:34

Nick
Dev
Website

Yeah well something really failed somehow. because it seems none of the Xfce components is launched. Anyway, it's always recommended to use your distro's packages, if possible. So if you can upgrade to the latest xubuntu, it's not a bad idea ^-^ (if will result in almost the same desktop environment as the installer provides, except from some different panel settings and better icons).

#9 2007-02-08 00:16:40

acobar

You can check the list of dependencies on "http://www.xfce.org/documentation/requirements". As you said you could compile successfully I suspect that some services are not running or are hosed.

Regards

#10 2007-02-15 22:12:13

mikerduffy

I have this same problem.  I'm running Kubuntu 6.10 amd64, and I did:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop

XFCE downloaded/installed, then a gui asked me if I wanted gdm or kdm as default - I chose kdm.

I logged out of KDE, then logged into XFCE.  I changed the desktop background, then I changed the startup splash to the one with the mouse in the middle of a white screen (same one as you?).

I then changed the theme to ThinIce, and while I was scrolling through the theme selection, I got an error that Thunar had crashed.

I logged out, then logged back in.  The little mouse was pulsing in the middle of the white screen, then my wallpaper loaded, and that's it.

I've got a wallpaper and a mouse.  The mouse can move, but that's it.

In KDE, I looked in /usr/share, and there are several folders related to xfce&xubuntu.  However, I don't know what to do next.

EDIT: Some more information:

When XFCE loads, there is the grey outline of a taskbar at the top of the screen (but thinner and blank), disappears right away.

[Alt]-[F2] doesn't do anything.  [Alt]-[F1] brings up a small blank window for a split second, which immediately disappears.

Board footer