Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-13 22:37:07

nesredep

Printing from Mousepad

I'm new to Xfce and I like what I see.  Only snag so far is that I can't print from Mousepad.

I installed the Debian 3.1R4 (testing) version which comes packaged with Xfce. 

Looking at the "about" menu, I see this:
Xfce 4 Desktop Environment
version 4.3.99.2 (Xfce 4.4 RC2)

Cups works ok, and I can print a test page (from CUPS, on browser).  I installed OpenOffice, and it prints too.

When I try to print from MousePad, I get:

client-error-bad-request

Also, when I try to print directly from xfprint, it gives the same message.

I would sure like some advice on this--after all, Mousepad is such a fast little app, I really think I might use it a lot.

John

#2 2007-02-14 17:54:43

MagnusBerg

Re: Printing from Mousepad

I have the same problem too on Etch but then I found the help pages at file:///usr/share/xfce4/doc/C/xfprint.html and read:

The xfprint4 application allows the user to print files of many different types and to set the printing options. For this it makes use of the a2ps application. The dialog contains several tabs with a multitude of options. Most of them probably don't have to be changed. The following figures show all notebook tabs of the dialog. For an explanation of the options we refer to the documentation for a2ps

I installed a2ps and now the printing works as a charm but I'm still not sure that it was a2ps   which did it - I did a couple of other things to - so tell me if it did.

A tips:
Put whose two lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list and you will get a real 4.4 version of Xfce and more packages to chose from.

deb http://debian.corsac.net unstable/
deb http://debian.corsac.net experimental/

Take all packages but libexo from unstable. And install libexo from experimental. That version has support for Thunar Volume Manager that automount devices.

#3 2007-02-14 18:49:44

nesredep

MagnusBerg wrote:

I installed a2ps and now the printing works as a charm but I'm still not sure that it was a2ps   which did it - I did a couple of other things to - so tell me if it did.

Yep, I also installed a2ps and suddenly it worked perfectly.  Nice research on your part.  I suppose we might expect that if Debian puts out a CD with Xfce pre-installed they might have caught that!

Now I can proceed and play some more!

#4 2007-02-14 19:42:18

MagnusBerg

Thanks for letting me now about that happened. A2ps chould be one of Xfprint's dependencies. But I don't like to complain to Debian's bug tracking list cause it reward the contributors with spam.

#5 2007-02-14 20:21:13

nesredep

MagnusBerg wrote:

Thanks for letting me now about that happened. A2ps chould be one of Xfprint's dependencies. But I don't like to complain to Debian's bug tracking list cause it reward the contributors with spam.

It is shown as a "Suggests" under xfprint4, not "Depends".  I guess it's not a bug--it's what they decided!

Again, thanks for helping me fix this.

John

Board footer