Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-21 23:39:33

mlcouprie

Cannot edit as root

Hi all. New user wants to know:

-how to edit the system time (in rightclick menu the clock is grayed out)
-how to edit folder /usr/share (i.e. manually put new themes in it)
-how to add/change the monitor. Right now, I can't change it.

I have a strong feeling that I cannot edit anything as root, and that the problems described all can be solved as a root.

Can you help?

#2 2007-02-22 10:05:49

midget

Re: Cannot edit as root

mlcouprie wrote:

-how to edit the system time (in rightclick menu the clock is grayed out)

Have you tried looking in Applications --> Settings -> Settings manager? smile

mlcouprie wrote:

I have a strong feeling that I cannot edit anything as root, and that the problems described all can be solved as a root.

.. How do you know this?

#3 2007-02-22 12:41:47

Nick
Dev
Website

You cannot change the system time in Xfce, you need to do this by hand (date) or run an application like rdate to sync with an ntp server.

#4 2007-02-22 14:02:39

mlcouprie

@Midget: I tried that, believe me. Cannot change the system time there.
I have the idea because I can edit nothing as root! I can't even change my monitor type!

@Nick: I can't edit the date by hand. Terminal says "operation not permitted".

In Kubuntu 6.06 one could edit things in a root terminal. That is also not possible now.

#5 2007-02-23 11:02:06

mlcouprie

Another question: my partition is full, and the trashcan is on the same partition, so I cannot free space!!

What can I do?

#6 2007-02-23 14:09:02

MagnusBerg

Use the 'rm' command as root. Read more about 'rm' at 'man rm'.

#7 2007-02-25 21:42:52

Nick
Dev
Website

I though you could do most of the root operations by running 'sudo date ...' etc. Same for running 'sudo Thunar' for emptying the entire trash (if you don't have permission to do this).

#8 2007-02-26 21:36:18

mlcouprie

Thanks for the answers, but I still could not edit as root as it wouldn't validate my password.... I had to download "Konsole", in Konsole is a "New root shell" witch which I finally could edit as root.

The rest of the questions remain....

#9 2007-02-27 18:03:23

MagnusBerg

Maybe you are a Windows boy. Else read here http://tldp.org

#10 2007-02-28 00:15:39

mlcouprie

@magnusBerg: sounds not a little annoying to me.... "maybe you are a windows boy". Maybe time for you to stay polite... I am trying my best here to have Xubuntu configured well. That site doesn't solve my problem.
And... if you are a strong, steadfast Linuxman (which I am happy to believe), why don't you come with a resolution? I searched the web for hours.

Not to be hateful or flaming, but I have the idea (except for the ones who help me on this forum) the Linux-community is a little too selfminded to help beginners like me at a forum. But I sincerely hope y'all will prove me wrong, and I like to thank anyone who thinks along with newbies and rookies.

bye
Marc

#11 2007-02-28 13:58:14

MagnusBerg

You started this thread by telling you couldn't doing things as root. Then you come up with the fact that you partition i sfull. And after that you got some answers about that you come up with that you can't be root because you can't log in as root. Why didn't you tell that from the start instead of start asking for solutions for secondary problems, and waste our time???

And you are definitely a Windows boy if you don't want to read documentations to learn about Linux on your own. Personally I'm willing to help a lot if the person who asks are willing make some effort to and not just sitting like a dead duck and wants me to do all the work on his/her computer. Linux is not as easy as Windows even if come distributions are very easy to install there is still things you must do on your own if you want to fully replace Windows with Linux.

#12 2007-02-28 16:29:53

mlcouprie

OK Magnus, I understand your message, but let's say two things...

1. When starting with a new system with no-one around to help, I am doing everything in my effort to learn all there is about it. So please understand I put hours and hours of work in it, I also try everything what people recommend me to do. Understand that it can be very annoying to be put off as a rookie or something. Yes, y'all are very experienced, that is why I've come here in the first place!

2. I'm glad with all reactions!!!, but at some point I need specific help with things that don't work. Isn't this the place to ask specific questions and get specific answers?

That's all, and again: I'm not trying to flame....

#13 2007-02-28 18:57:20

mikeym
Website

It is worth remembering that Linux has a huge learning curve still... although it is getting better all the time.

I would like to ask how you don't have a root password? Did you install Linux yourself or is there someone administering the machine for you? If there is an administrator and there's a problem with space then surely they're the one to ask?

Otherwise you should have a root password. On some distributions - such as XUbuntu - there is no 'root' user you just precede the command you want from within the terminal with 'sudo' and enter your own password to get root privileges. As in 'sudo rm -R ~/.local/share/Trash/*' to forcibly delete the files in your trash.

When using the forums it is always best to remain polite - even when others aren't necessarily being so - and stick to asking a single straightforward question in each thread you post.

#14 2007-03-01 07:20:22

Nick
Dev
Website

Well if he's using a *ubuntu distro for example there is no root password (maybe there is one, but you don't need it). When the user is in the right group you can use your own password when running sudo.

O and btw stop the other stupid discussion, just ignore people you don't like on this forum :-X

#15 2007-03-01 13:25:53

mlcouprie

@ mikeym: I installed Xubuntu myself, on my own pc. Before that I have had Kubuntu on it for about half a year. I didn't expect that Xubuntu would differ so much from Kubuntu. Thanks for the wise words about politeness....

@Nick: I can edit as root now, I downloaded Konsole and now it's possible. One of the things left is the impossibility to change monitor.

#16 2007-03-02 20:25:08

schproodle

Xubuntu has a root password that is autogenerated.  You should be able to do most things with the sudo command:  "sudo passwd root", for example.   wink

#17 2007-03-02 20:33:45

schproodle

Change monitor?  Re-configure X? 

"sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"  will let you enter monitor specifications.

#18 2007-03-04 16:45:01

Jellybean

Xubuntu comes without a root password. To set a root password you type "sudo passwd" in a console and type in the new root password.
Xubuntu comes with GDM configured to disallow root login even if a password is set. To fix this, login as a normal user with sudo access and configure GDM (from the settings menu). The should be a checkbox for allow local root login.

If you want permanent root access in a terminal (so you don't have to type sudo in front of every command), type "sudo su", or "sudo su -" if you want a login shell. Type exit to return to the normal user.

#19 2007-03-11 10:59:53

mlcouprie

Thanks for all the input. I can do most of the things I want now. Bye!

Board footer