Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-18 09:29:58

be-fx

Xfce4 and SLiM

Hi,
I am using Xfce in Xubuntu and recently switched from gdm to SLiM as my Login Manager. Now I have some really strange occurences in Xfce:

With gdm my Xfce was German, GTK-applications like firefox showed German menues, Xfce was completely German.
When I login with SLiM, Xfce and GTK-applications are English, the Xfce-menu looks completely different. But this only occurs when SLiM is started automatically as a runlevel-script.
When I start it from tty1 as root with '/etc/init.d/slim start', the whole Xfce is German again.

SLiM logs in using 'bash -login ~/.xinitrc', my .xinitrc-file contains a 'exec startxfce4'.

I can't imagine anyone here actually uses slim, but any hints on that language issue would be nice, maybe Xfce needs a special system-variable set, or maybe I can give startxfce4 a language-setting.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2007-04-18 20:08:46

Jellybean

Re: Xfce4 and SLiM

I use slim, but I use all software on English so that I won't become mad on the bad Norwegian translations.

Can you type "locale" (without the quotes) into a console and tell us what it says when it's German and what it says when it's English?

#3 2007-04-18 21:20:14

be-fx

Re: Xfce4 and SLiM

Thanks for the hint, I think that was the problem, there wasn't a language set.
I set the LANG-var in my .xinitrc now, it seems to work:

export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
exec startxfce4

I don't know if this is the best solution, maybe there's a better one?
I also had some other really strange occurrences, OpenOffice looked really strange, there were very few menues, everything was measured in inches, for example...

Board footer