Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-02 09:44:19

Lake-end

No right click menu on desktop, please help

Hi all and pleased to meet you, this is my first post as I am starting out with xfce.
Very nice desktop by the way  ;D

I am having some problems though. I'm running the latest xfce from openSuse repositories. I have also tried compiling xfce from the sources by using the graphical installer. My problem with both installs is that I don't get the right mouse click menu on desktop. When the "Show Desktop Menu on right click" is enabled I get the "start menu" (check the picture below) but that is not what I'm looking for. When I disable the afore mentioned setting, I get absolutely nothing.
http://lakeend.pp.fi/start-menu.png

When I right-click any icon on desktop I get some of the functionality from "Desktop Menu" as illustrated on picture below.
http://lakeend.pp.fi/icon-menu.png

Anyone have any idea what is causing this? I would like to have right click menu like the one I have in my xubuntu.
http://lakeend.pp.fi/xubuntu-menu.png

#2 2007-05-02 10:48:19

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: No right click menu on desktop, please help

Xubuntu uses a patch xfdesktop. I'm not really sure what they've changed, but the menu is probably one of the changes. If you want, you can apply the ubuntu patch before compiling.

PS. don't add large screenshots, but use imageshack or something similar and post the thumbs with links.

#3 2007-05-02 11:12:47

Lake-end

Hi and thanks for the reply.
So did I understand you correctly, xfce does not normally have that (xubuntu) kind of menu?

Those pictures are on my server so they should not eat bandwidth from this forum, but I guess theyre slow to load on slow connections.

#4 2007-05-02 11:18:40

Nick
Dev
Website

Lake-end wrote:

So did I understand you correctly, xfce does not normally have that (xubuntu) kind of menu?

Yep, that's right, what you see, is the way the Xfce developers coded it. This because the desktop menu has been part of the Xfce desktop for a long time, and we're not going to drop that.

#5 2007-05-02 13:05:41

Lake-end

Oh ok. No problem, I´ve just been accustomed to the start menu concept from windows, gnome and kde.
It is because of the "Desktop Menu" entry in my first pic is greyed out and the Desktop entry is only available when rightclicking an icon, that I thought it was somekind of bug.

#6 2007-05-05 09:02:32

fijam

I believe that this patch is not enough. Does anybody happen to know what specifically causes the change? My post on ubuntuforums remained unanswered.

Regards,

#7 2007-05-06 16:01:43

Lake-end

Hi,
you actually tested it? I didn´t compile it, I just installed from binaries.

Board footer