Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-04 00:16:02

nitrogoldfish

allow panels to be covered by windows

This seems like a simple enough idea, but for some reason i can't find the setting anywhere to allow a panel to be covered up by a window...i'm a bit of a n00b, but can't think of anywhere else to look...

I'm using a (slightly) modified version of the B5 style for the window manager, if you're familiar with it...if not, it basically reduces the title bar of windows to just the window title and a close button so the  title bar does not extend the full width of the window.  I've also got a panel in the upper-right corner of my screen, but because panels cannot be covered by windows, if i try to put a window in the same corner of the screen screen space gets wasted.  (i know, not the end of the world, but still annoying...)

I have already made sure that all margins on the screen are set to 0...here's a screenshot of what i'm talking about:
screenshot.png

If it is not possible to allow windows to cover panels, i'll also settle for windows being allowed to be covered by panels.  As it stands now, i cannot move the window up because the window manager thinks that the title bar would be covered by the label.

Thanks in advance for any help

#2 2007-06-04 08:50:27

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: allow panels to be covered by windows

This theme has just transparent sections, so in fact the whole title is drawn. Maybe you can create a floating panel, duno if that 'solves' the problem?

#3 2007-06-04 22:23:41

nitrogoldfish

thanks for the reply.  If i make the panel freely movable,  i can position the windows how i want so it does fix my problem but only by making two more:
as things get added to the system tray it moves my panel away from the edge of the screen...as things are removed from the panel, it does not move back to the edge of the screen
the other problem is that on booting the system, it doesn't remember where i positioned the panel last

...again, not exactly the most pressing problem the world has seen, but still frustrating >: [

If there is no way to allow the panel to be covered by windows, is there a way so that  the window title bars can be covered up by the panel (without making the panel freely movable)?

#4 2007-06-05 07:47:28

Nick
Dev
Website

Well the panel should save it's position, are you using the lastest version of Xfce (4.4.1)? The panel move problem is a bit more difficult (that's why you can snap the screen edges), but I'll look in to this within a couple of weeks. Maybe a (hidden) option to allow panel overlapping, something like that, duno yet.

Changing the panel layer has been removed in Xfce 4.4 (from the window manager) to improve the focus code. So you can't change that eighter.

So.... a bit depressing isn't it :-|, anyway there is a bugreport for the freely movable panel to restore its postion, so  we won't forget. If you're using the latest version of Xfce and the position of the freely movable panel is not stored, please file a bug report in the Xfce bugzilla.

#5 2007-06-06 04:09:46

nitrogoldfish

I'm running 4.4.0...here's an outline of my adventure trying to upgrade to 4.4.1:
download .run file from sourceforge and execute it
.run file complains glib not installed
download and install newest version of glib
try run file for 4.4.1 again, it complains that gtk isn't installed
download and try to install gtk
gtk says that it needs pango, atk, and cairo
download pango and try to install
pango complains that none of FreeType, x11, ATUSI, or Win32 are installed, needs at least one (go figure..win32 isn't installed on my linux box?)
begin to question if going from 4.4.0 to 4.4.1 is worth it.

i know i'm a n00b at this game, but seriously... am i just completely missing something here, or what?

the floating panels will allow sharing desktop space with  windows...the locked panels don't...maybe there is some hack to let lock panels share space?

#6 2007-06-06 08:20:03

Nick
Dev
Website

Duno which distro you're using but you need the *-devel files/packages from the gtk2/glib2/cairo/pango and vte package

Board footer