Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-09 03:59:12

djiann

Using a different window manager?

Well, I've searched around everywhere I can think of, but can't find the answer to this question,
which I think is an obvious enough one that I'm surprised not to find anyone else asking it.

I'd like to use IceWM with XFCE.  The XFCE4 window manager is a very nice one, but IceWM
is what I'm used to and it has some unique features that I really like, including my absolute
favorite theme.  Is there any way to get this to work?

I note that both XFCE and IceWM claim to be compliant with the standards set by freedesktop.org,
so it seems like it ought to be reasonable to expect them to interoperate.

I am enjoying XFCE so far and look forward to continuing to use it with IceWM  smile

Thanks,
Dave

#2 2007-07-09 07:27:14

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Using a different window manager?

killall xfwm4
Alt + F2 -> icewm
logout and save your session.

#3 2007-07-12 04:45:40

djiann

Re: Using a different window manager?

Thank you.... I did find that your advice didn't quite get me where I wanted to be, because the session didn't remember the new window manager, but it was a relatively simple matter of forking off an icewm process in my .xinitrc.

So now I'd like to deal with the Xfce panel and root menu.  I'm told that I can't delete the last panel, and the best I can hide it still shows it on the screen edge as while line about 5-10 pixels wide.  Also, I'd like to let icewm's menu structures be shown, but Xfce's are apparently overriding them.  Actually I'd like to keep the Xfce panel, as long as it could be hidden entirely until I (for example) move my cursor to a corner of the screen or something.

Any hope for either of these? 

Thanks,
Dave

Board footer