Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-14 13:31:02

aamir_must

Xfce on Mandriva Linux 2007.1 Spring

Hi,

I am trying to install xfce on my Mandriva Linux 2007.1 spring free edition but it says it cannot find Gtk+>=2.6.10 and after that the installer exits, althoug i am having the latest version of Gtk+ installed i.e, 2.10 please help

P.S. I am trying the Xfce graphical installer although i've also tried source code compilation but the error is same.

#2 2007-07-15 01:53:38

RGRagosta

Re: Xfce on Mandriva Linux 2007.1 Spring

Nice combination Mandriva (Spring/2007.1) and Xfce- same as my preferred environment...

On setting up Xfce from the installer in almost all cases were there is "burp" on missing files- look to the "devel" variants of those files. For gtk+ there is Libgtk+-devel options to consider. Also from prior experience and advice given in this forum- there is a definite possile'gotcha" regarding CUPS:

1        Support / Desktop / Re: Cups doesn't appear in Xfprint selection of print system        on: March 26, 2007, 13:41
Quote from: MagnusBerg on March 26, 2007, 11:19
You compile your Xfce4 package yourself becuase you need the libcups dev package. Don't you???

Well actually I don't really directly compile from source code myself, rather I have used the Binary Installer approach in my last few Xfce version upgrades.

Since my preferred base System is Mandriva, there just wasn't really any up-to-date RPMs out there for the latest Xfce version releases. Using the Binary Installer method, I soon discovered that there are definite implicit dependencies for some aspects of Xfce functionality; which are not overtly documented.

A key discovery directly pertinent to this issue is that- not having the libcups devel package(s) installed before compile-install will result in NO CUPS support in Xfce.
ReplyReply Reply with quoteQuote Notify of repliesNotify
2      Support / Desktop / Re: Cups doesn't appear in Xfprint selection of print system     on: March 25, 2007, 21:16
Had the same "missing" CUPS option a while back in my numerous Xfce upgrades. One thing which DID consistently solve this issue was- make sure that you have the "libcups" devel package installed and with proper library pathing...

You do know that Mandriva has specific RPMs already pre-built for Xfce..? Additionally, Mandriva has made Xfce a direct Mandriva-supported DM, nice announce at: http://saispo.free.fr/dotclear/index.php?Mandriva ; and nice 2008-Xfce data at: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Ma … XFCE_4.4.1

Enjoy both environments- they make a great combo..!

Mageia 4.1 / Xfce 4.10
"Which is better- Artificial intelligence or REAL stupidity...?"

#3 2007-07-16 06:38:11

aamir_must

After Trying Several time By Executing Binary Installer .....finally  i have given up Binary Installer for Installing Xfce

But I 've got Xfce HOW???

Yesterday I have come to now an Excellent tool In Mandriva Called urpmi

I have included Package repositories from easyurpmi to package manager and Installed Xfce without worrying about dependencies....

#4 2007-07-30 05:06:49

janux

If U tink urpmi is nice try SMART tool !!

Board footer