Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-09 06:37:14

linuxlady

using terminal shutsdown/restarts desktop

Hello!

I installed Xfce (Xubuntu) with no problems. However, every time I open the terminal, it stops everything and tosses me back to a login screen. I can't even begin anything in the terminal; just clicking on it in the menu  does this. I tried re-installing it with Synaptic, but no go. Also, how do I add applications to the menu? I've downloaded some nice stuff, but it's not listed on the menu, and appfinder doesn't find them. I could add them myself, I suppose, but where do I look for the programs, and the start commands? Thanks in advance!!

#2 2007-08-10 23:28:14

Rhayader

Re: using terminal shutsdown/restarts desktop

Hi
I have the same problem
I use XFCE 4.4.1 in Fedora Core 6.
Tried changing the terminal program under "Settings Manager" / "Preferred Applications"
The 3 options are: "XTerminal", "GNOME Terminal" and "Xfce Terminal", but none works.
When the session goes down it doesn't show any error message.
Could be a hardware problem?
My computer is very old (IBM Netvista A20 - Pentium III 667mhz, 256MB ram, video chipset Intel 810e).
Before Fedora I tried Xubuntu and did the same thing.
Its very annoying!
Being a rookie I can't work without the graphic interface. I can't get rid of Gnome!!
If anyone knows the solution please reply.

Saludos desde Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rhayader

#3 2007-08-12 13:48:57

Rhayader

Re: using terminal shutsdown/restarts desktop

Hi
Solved partially.
In Fedora you can call the command line by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 (F1 to F6, there are six different command lines) and go back to desktop with Alt-F7.
You can't cut and paste as in a window but it works.
You should try if Ubuntu has the same functionallity (surely it does).

Saludos
Rhayader

Board footer