Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-11 15:30:21

Bart_D

Newb question about XFCE desktop manager

Hi, a simple question(I hope) here:

When I log into Xfce, the desktop icons do not show up.  I have to go to Settings>Desktop Settings and click the box Allow XFCE to manage your desktop.  I need to do this everytime I want to view the icons.  After I click that box, a message pops up saying something about Saving sessions, I can't remember the whole thing.  Now, when I go to Settings>Settings Manager>Sessions and Startup, here's what I see:  Automatically Save Settings on logout is not checked so I checked it.  However, each time I log out and log back in, it's as though the settings for the session have been forgotten.

I just want XFCE to remember to load those settings from the saved session upon startup everytime.  Your assistance will be highly appreciated.

Bart

#2 2007-08-12 01:51:53

SimonJ
Website

Re: Newb question about XFCE desktop manager

Do you have Konqueror or Nautilus on your system? If yes to one or both you'll need to stop it/them from running the desktop.

Simon.                                                         (^_^)

TIP: Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
=====================================================================

#3 2007-08-12 17:46:20

Bart_D

No, I have Xubuntu.  I had initially started using Gnome until I realised I could use xfce by changing sessions(beginner here).  Also, one more thing worth noting is that when I right clicked on the "desktop" to change the wallpaper, the menu that showed up was the Gnome menu, NOT the xfce menu.  This was the thing that first caught my attention...also the wallpaper was the one used in gnome and NOT the one used in xfce as I changed it for xfce.

I;m really not sure what to do next...I've tried changing the option to save/not save session settings but it won't do anything.  In session manager I noticed in the Advanced Tab that Enable Gnome processes on startup was selected so I tried deselecting that and tried different combinations of save/not save session settings but still nothing.

It seems like it should be trivial to solve this but I'm really frustrated now.

#4 2007-08-13 05:59:12

SimonJ
Website

open a terminal and type

sudo apt-get remove nautilus

Then Y to confirm you want to remove it and then we know you have removed it completely.

Then log out and back in again.

hth,

Simon.                                                         (^_^)

TIP: Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
=====================================================================

Board footer