Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-01 03:29:24

justakiwi

desktop icons for devices

How do I create desktop icons for devices/drives? I want a shortcut to my Windows partition (automounted) but the only way I can see to do that is to make a shortcut to a folder. That creates an icon that looks like a folder though - I'd like it to show up as a drive icon (I'm using the crystal project icon set which has icons for hard drives etc). How can I do this?

#2 2007-10-15 21:05:30

ronkin

Re: desktop icons for devices

You can do this by right clicking on the "Home" folder and selecting Desktop.  Then select "Create Launcher".  Fill in the requested information including selecting the path to the icon that you desire.  If the partition is already mounted all that you have to do to display its contents in Thunar is fill in the Command line: with 'thunar part_mount_point' without the quotes and close the dialog box.  Replace part_mount_point with the actual mountpoint for your windows partition, something like /mnt/windows or whatever your mountpoint is.  If the partition is not already mounted then use the following information to fill in the command line:

The "xfmountdev4 /dev/mountpoint" command will mount the given
mountpoint and open Thunar in that location. When you close the Thunar
window the filesystem will be unmounted.

I have tried using xfmountdev4 as described but have only gotten it to work intermittently.  I now use a different method.  Good luck!

Ron

Board footer