Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-29 19:29:32

blip

[SOLVED] themes don't change look

Hi all,  i have the latest xfce installed succesfully on my system, however i am posting in this section because i think the problem I'm having relates to packages/installation.

I sucessfully installed the latest XFCE using the graphical installer which compiled it on my P4 machine (i ticked the "Extensive optimizations" flag).

The problem is basically that when selecting themes from the "User Interface Preferences" there is no visual difference in color or shape ie all themes look the same almost.  The only thing that happes when i scroll through the different themes is that the size of the icons in the "XFCE Settings Manager" changes.  The exception is the "Clearlooks" set of themes causes a change in the color of the titlebar, aside from that everything remains the same ie taskbar shape and color, window foreground color, button color/shape are all the same default gray.

I've re-installed this xfce 4 times but always getting same result.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue and how it can be fixed ?  I would really like to fully utilize the visual capabilities of xfce.

distro: PCLinuxOS 2007 (comes with KDE)
xfce: 4.4.2
video card:  Geforce 7600GS  (using nvidia twinview)

#2 2007-12-30 07:51:18

Pindakoe

Re: [SOLVED] themes don't change look

I suspect you lack the theme engines that define shape & form of the various elements. A lot of themes are AFAIK just variations on what  a small number of engines provides. The clearlooks engine lives (in my vanilla Mandriva install) in /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libclearlooks.so, together with half a dozen other engines.

#3 2007-12-30 11:57:11

blip

Pindakoe wrote:

I suspect you lack the theme engines that define shape & form of the various elements. A lot of themes are AFAIK just variations on what  a small number of engines provides. The clearlooks engine lives (in my vanilla Mandriva install) in /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libclearlooks.so, together with half a dozen other engines.

Thanks for replying,  I checked the /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/ directory and found the following files:

libcleanice.so*     libflat.so*      libindustrial.so*  libqtengine.so*   libsvg.so*
libclearlooks.so*   libglide.so*     libmist.so*        libredmond95.so*  libthinice.so*
libcrux-engine.so*  libhcengine.so*  libpixmap.so*      libsmooth.so*     libwonderland.so*

But even Crux which has an engine in the directory above doesn't work.  Is there somewhere i can find a list of all xfce theme related packages and make sure the installer has installed them.  Any idea how I could check that ?

#4 2007-12-30 21:22:23

blip

Problem was solved thanks to #xfce.  All was that was involved is "rm ~/.gtkrc-2.0"

Board footer