Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-14 15:56:02

brycenesbitt

Instructions: Transferring items from app menu to panel (e.g. .desktop files).

I know how to add an launcher to a panel.  I know how to build a .desktop file, and have it appear in the xfce applications menu.
But this one is just eluding me: how do I transfer or dock an application, which is already in the xfce application menu, onto the panel?

I tried dragging -- no go.  I tried right clicking on the application menu item -- wrong answer.  I tried right clicking on the panel, but the "add new item" makes you set up the application from scratch.  I tried clicking on a blank launcher, but I can't switch it to point to an existing .desktop file.

#2 2008-03-22 18:41:24

herd
Website

Re: Instructions: Transferring items from app menu to panel (e.g. .desktop files).

I fear this is by design.

Desktop, menu and panel are different things with different goals (and most significant:) different developers.
Best you file an enhancement request at the bugzilla page (http://bugzilla.xfce.org/)

hth,

herd

#3 2008-03-25 06:01:35

brycenesbitt

Re: Instructions: Transferring items from app menu to panel (e.g. .desktop files).

That's unfortunate.  The first -- yes the very first -- thing I wanted to do with xfce4 and it can't do it.

I did find a way, by searching the release notes:

Step 1) Create a blank launcher.
Step 2) Open the xfce4 application finder (xfce4-appfinder).
Step 3) Find your application.
Step 4) Right click the blank launcher, and select properties.
Step 5) Drag the chosen application to the blank launcher's properties.
Step 6) Delete the extra launcher you now get  (press the "-" icon).

Whew!  :?  :-|

#4 2008-03-29 13:39:33

eviirthaang

:? cumbersome... One of the only things I miss about GNOME is the drag and drop from menus or applicationname.desktop files to the panel.

THANKS for posting the Xfce procedure!

-eviirthaang

#5 2008-04-22 20:29:02

derekge

Thanks for this - I was looking to find this out.  :-|

Board footer