Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-18 17:49:15

ukognos

start application in background without focus

is it possible do start an application in background ( i mean behind the window you are currently working on ) , without focus. i have found an option for starting a window ( but that means every window, including messageboxes ) without focus but it still starts in foreground.

if it isn't possible, it would be a nice feature for future. i think everyone knows how it is when you are chatting or surfing and you start openoffice or eclipse and you want to resume surfing but then, all of a sudden openoffice starts  smile and you have to switch back to your other application to finish your work  ;D. it is sometimes really annoying

please correct me if i made any spelling mistakes, i'm learning  smile

best regards
ukognos

#2 2009-10-08 18:28:57

jarnos
Website

Re: start application in background without focus

In Xfce 4.6 window manager setting "new window focus" disabled opens well behaving new windows in the background. Many users dislike this feature, though; see http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5479

There is a setting for focus stealing prevention in window manager tweaks. If it is enabled and an application is launched by a desktop file that has line "StartupNotify=true", it should not steal focus, if you are typing in a window. If it does steal focus even then, it is a bug in that application. The desktop files of menu items are located at /usr/share/applications/.

Board footer