Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-17 14:14:27

stolzi

Executing scripts in xfce

Hello,

i tried to get an answer in ubuntu forums, but i think it is better to post here because i got no answer.

I have installed xubuntu 8.04 and work with xfce the first time. I have a problem executing scripts in xfce. I will explain it with an example, but i dont think that my problem has something to do with the apps.

I wrote a script which first executes lircd with sudo and then executes xine without sudo. Then i made an entry in sudoers file that i dont have to type the pwd.

If i execute the script from command line all works fine. But when i try to execute it by clicking on the file in xfce lircd starts, but when xine starts i read in syslog, that lircd cant connect to the given device.
I am very confused about that, because i start exactly the same script, which should do exactly the same... I made nothing wrong, because i tried several times... start per command line... works... kill lircd and xine... start by clicking... cant connect... kill... start per command line... works!

Has someone an idea?

Btw: I wanted to test what happens if i say xfce, that it should execute the script in the terminal. This way i could see if there are error messages. But i found no option for that like i find it in kde. Also i found no command line options for the xfce terminal to start it executing a skript after start. Knows someone how to do that?

Thanks
Stolzi

#2 2008-07-17 15:12:23

Dicson

Re: Executing scripts in xfce

stolzi wrote:

Also i found no command line options for the xfce terminal to start it executing a skript after start.

xfce4-terminal -x youscript.sh

I start my script :   sh '~/launch.sh'

#3 2008-07-17 15:13:12

herd
Website

A few things come to my mind:
1. Check if the shebang is OK (first line in script, #!/bin/bash or so)
2. Log the $PATH somewhere in your script, find and fix the difference between calls. (e.g. /usr/sbin could be missing)
3. See if the output of the locale is different in thunar than it is in terminal (happens sometimes in xubuntu)
4. Check if any other environment variable is different.

#4 2008-07-18 04:16:10

stolzi

Thanks for this tips. I will try that things and tell then if it worked.

Board footer