Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-17 15:26:44

Wheee

xfwm4 and cedega

Hi everyone,

I finally upgraded to xfce 4.4.1 (fedora 7). It's almost as fast as xfce 4.2.4, I like that smile

But it seems that the window manager xfwm4 is causing problems with cedega. For those who remember my first post here: after upgrading from xfce 4.2.3.2 to xfce 4.4rc1 the keyboard was dead when playing a game in fullscreen using cedega. And the screen flashed a few times before the game came up. So I went back to xfce 4.2.3.2.

Later with xfce 4.2.4 I had nearly the same problems. Replacing the packages one after another (4.2.3.2 to 4.2.4) showed that xfwm4 produced this behaviour. Because of that I used xfce 4.2.4 with xfwm4 4.2.3.2.

Now when I try to start that cedega game with xfce 4.4.1 the screen flickers badly (it's not flashing, it's flickering) until the game either terminates itself or gets killed. Solution: use metacity (or any other wm != xfwm4 4.4.1). When I do a "metacity --replace" before starting that game, everything works fine. No flickering, no flashing.

Is there a super secret configuration option for xfwm4 that could help me solve this problem? Any ideas?

- Wheee

#2 2008-07-20 09:54:41

Laryllan

Re: xfwm4 and cedega

I can confirm that Cedega doesn't work with Xfwm.

I'm using version 4.4.2 (Xubuntu default install). Fullscreen doesn't work in any game I tried so far. The screen goes blank, but the game starts anyway (I can hear sound). I'd like to use Cedega and Xfce so much... sad

Dear developers of Xfce,
your doing a great job and created one of the best desktop environments out there.
Can you please take a look at the issue with Cedega?
Can you at least confirm that it doesn't work?
Maybe we miss something here, a hidden switch to make it work?

This is my first post on this board, I'd be happy if there would be a reply.

Laryllan

p.s.
I'll start a post over at the Cedega board too.

#3 2008-07-21 12:22:29

herd
Website

Try to turn the compositor off.
No shadows, no transparent terminals, but much faster than metacity and
compatible with SDL or DDL apps.

hth,

herd

#4 2008-07-21 17:29:10

Laryllan