Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-23 02:28:41

slumbergod

change the directory Desktop shows

Hi all,

I am a big fan of Xubuntu and though I have tried several other distros, I have always come back to Xubuntu because the Xfce environment really suits me (I have a new laptop so I could use something else but I don't like bloat...too many years with Windoze I guess).

There is something I have always wanted to do with no luck. I am looking for a tool to let me change the the view the Desktop shows. For example, it shows the contents of the Desktop directory in my Home. Most of the time that is fine but sometimes I work exclusively in a different folder and it would be very convenient to be able to "point" my Desktop to that folder.

Everything I could find online is about setting up symbolic links and changing where the Desktop folder (or Home) is. I don't want to do that; I just want to find a way to make my Desktop show the directory I am working in.

Does something exist? Is it something I could do myself?

I have asked on Ubuntu's forum but no one has replied, hence my posting here.

If anyone can suggest something that would be appreciated.

#2 2008-09-23 02:41:20

shengchieh
Website

Re: change the directory Desktop shows

Have you tried using different colors for different desktop?  In the setting stuffs, there is desktop preferences where
you should be able to change color.  Does this help?

Sheng-Chieh

#3 2008-09-23 15:21:40

slumbergod

No, what I want to be able to do is not a customisation of appearance. I want to make my Desktop show another location altogether, and be able to change it easily without setting up a permanent change to one new location.

So, if all my windows are minimised, I see my wallpaper and the icons for files and directories in the folder the Desktop is currently set to display.

#4 2008-11-04 10:36:22

Benjamin
Website

Hi, I'm looking for this tip too. Have you manage to do what you wanna do ?
P.S. You or someone else

I'm sorry for my english, I'm french smile

Board footer