Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-18 05:45:17

Jeeproxx

Modifying Application Launchers

I've been unable to find documentation outlining how to change commands issued by the application launchers in the start menu. Specifically, I need to add 'sudo' to the command of one launcher so that launches the program as 'root'.

Thanks

#2 2008-10-18 06:39:23

gamin

Re: Modifying Application Launchers

Hi Jeeproxx , to modified the command applicaiton launcher ,you shuld locate the .desktop file under /usr/share/applicacitons, for example , if you want modified launcher of synaptic, you should open /usr/share/applicacitons/synaptic.desktop whit your favorite text editor and replace the line :

Exec=synaptic

for

Exec=sudo /usr/sbin/synaptic

or better

Exec=gksu -u root /usr/sbin/synaptic

#3 2008-10-18 15:55:10

Jeeproxx

Heya Gamin!

Thanks for the help! I moded the .desktop file to EXEC=root application and the application launcher disappeared from the menu. To clarify... the distro I'm using is a moded version of Fedora 7 and sudo isn't part of the picture? Don't ask. So unfortunately i've got some more work to do before I can make this a reality.

#4 2008-10-18 23:59:11

gamin

If you plain run applications as "root" from the launchers xfce, then you really need to install either, sudo,gksu or ktsuss. (I recommend the latter).

P.D.
The application disappears from the menu because the command used in the launcher does not exist

Board footer