Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-01 10:37:24

nutts4life

Problems compiling against xcomposite libraries

I know this is not a directly XFCE4 problem. But i can't understand where the issue is here.

I'm compiling a dock called cairo-dock to be used with XFCE.http://www.cairo-dock.org

Cario-dock can be used with fake transparency or using the WM's transparency (most commonly xcompmgr to compiz).
The guys at cairo-dock swear that cairo-dock runs fine using the XFCE transparency.

When i configure cairo-dock everything runs fine, i then make it and i get this error:

/usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so /usr/lib/libxml2.so -lz -lm /usr/X11R7/lib/libXtst.so /usr/X11R7/lib/libXext.so /usr/X11R7/lib/libX11.so /usr/X11R7/lib/libXdmcp.so -ldl /usr/X11R7/lib/libXau.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
cairo_dock-cairo-dock-applications-manager.o: In function `_cairo_dock_fill_icon_buffer_with_thumbnail':
/root/extras/cairo_libs/cairo-dock-1.6.1.2_SRC/src/cairo-dock-applications-manager.c:722: undefined reference to `XCompositeNameWindowPixmap'
cairo_dock-cairo-dock-applications-manager.o: In function `cairo_dock_unstack_Xevents':
/root/extras/cairo_libs/cairo-dock-1.6.1.2_SRC/src/cairo-dock-applications-manager.c:933: undefined reference to `XCompositeNameWindowPixmap'
/root/extras/cairo_libs/cairo-dock-1.6.1.2_SRC/src/cairo-dock-applications-manager.c:1019: undefined reference to `XCompositeNameWindowPixmap'
cairo_dock-cairo-dock-application-factory.o: In function `cairo_dock_create_icon_from_xwindow':
/root/extras/cairo_libs/cairo-dock-1.6.1.2_SRC/src/cairo-dock-application-factory.c:453: undefined reference to `XCompositeNameWindowPixmap'
cairo_dock-cairo-dock-X-utilities.o: In function `cairo_dock_support_X_extension':
/root/extras/cairo_libs/cairo-dock-1.6.1.2_SRC/src/cairo-dock-X-utilities.c:612: undefined reference to `XCompositeQueryExtension'
/root/extras/cairo_libs/cairo-dock-1.6.1.2_SRC/src/cairo-dock-X-utilities.c:615: undefined reference to `XCompositeQueryVersion'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [cairo-dock] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/extras/cairo_libs/cairo-dock-1.6.1.2_SRC/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/extras/cairo_libs/cairo-dock-1.6.1.2_SRC/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/extras/cairo_libs/cairo-dock-1.6.1.2_SRC'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have looked at the cairo-dock code and it is pointing to the correct directory for /usr/include/X11/extensions/xcomposite.h and all the methods i can't reference above, are declared in this file.

So I can't understand why this didn't work. So then i tried adding this to the end of my ./configure:

LDFLAGS=-L/usr/X11R7/lib LIBS=-lXcomposite 

I ran make and it's fine!!!!

BUT, although transparency is working fine with the WM, it does NOT work with cairo-dock when it is run.

I've tried so many forums (cairo-dock / puppy linux) and nobody can help. Does anybody know what could be wrong here?

I've looked at the /usr/lib/Xcomposite.pc and it's fine and all the headers are pointing to the correct headers.

My LD_LIBRARY PATH, I have:

/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib:.......

Thanks very much.

n4l

#2 2008-12-01 12:27:10

eriefisher

Re: Problems compiling against xcomposite libraries

I have never had any luck getting cairo-dock to run, at least stable. The same goes wit AWN. I just use wbar, It's simple and does what I need it to do.

http://code.google.com/p/wbar/

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2008-12-01 17:53:52

nutts4life

If only wbar would do all that i need. I'm also a big fan. But i want the functionality of cairo-dock.

I've had alot of success with cairo-dock (except this)... so i'm not giving up that easily.

;D

n4l

#4 2008-12-12 19:35:27

blackbelt_jones

nutts4life wrote:

If only wbar would do all that i need. I'm also a big fan. But i want the functionality of cairo-dock.

I've had alot of success with cairo-dock (except this)... so i'm not giving up that easily.

;D

n4l

I'm having the exact same problem since I switched to Vector Linux.  I'm used to Ubuntu, where cairo-dock is just an "sudo apt-get install" away, and it runs great, better than wbar, in my experience.  I keep breaking wbar when I try to configure it in fluxbox. 

I found this thread (and this forum) by googling my error message.  Short term, I am giving up.  It looks like you know a whole lot more about compiling than I do, yet you are just as stumped as me.   One thing I really wanted was the weather applet, but I made up for that by using the widgets in opera.

But I will be monitoring this thread, so if you solve this, please consider sharing your solution. smile

#5 2008-12-13 00:58:28

eriefisher

blackbelt_jones wrote:

One thing I really wanted was the weather applet, but I made up for that by using the widgets in opera.

It was this type of thing that made me try cairo-dock but I could not get any of the apps running stable.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

Board footer