Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-10 01:22:10

essial

Xfce is awsome, but I have a few problems

Ok, first of all, I would like to thank the Xfce team for creating a desktop that is both fast, and full of features. I tried Xfce a while back, and only recently decided to give it another whirl. From the moment I started using it, it seemed to roll out the red carpet and treated me to some of the fastest, most no-nonsense desktop experiences I have ever seen.

Having said that, there are a few issues I am having that I really need resolved so that I can continue using this amazing desktop environment.

1) I accidentally left nautilus running when I closed Xfce and now I'm forced to use the metacity window manager, and I cannot seem to get it to go back to Xfwm. I have tried deleting the files in the xfce desktop .cache subfolder but it still wont let go.

2) Every time I start, it wants to re-load the applications I had running the last time I logged in. I know some people like this feature but I really ~really~ hate it. I like starting with a fresh desktop each and every time I log in. I have unchecked the "Save sessions on logout" option but it still wants to remember applications that have been previously started.

(and a minor one below that isn't 100% important, just a minor gripe)

3) Is there a volume manager app that doesn't show the slider along side the icon? I vastly prefer a single speaker icon that I click on to see the slider. I know its a very minor thing, but that volume bar looks/feels ackward to me.

Thanks in advance!

#2 2008-12-15 03:09:38

ljb225

Re: Xfce is awsome, but I have a few problems

I'm new to xfce, but I think I can help with #2.  You need to turn ON "automatically save session on logout", close all your windows, then log out. Log back in, and turn OFF "automatically save session on logout". After this, you should get a nice clean desktop when you log in, except for auto-started applications.

#3 2008-12-15 13:20:18

NUTNDUN

I am new to xfce too but for your problem #1 you can open a terminal and enter
$xfwm4 --replace

The other thing you can check is the xfce4-session.rc file, I think it is located somewhere like /etc/xdg/xfce4desktop/xfce-session/ I am at work on a windows box so I am not positive on the location, there is a line in there something like Custom0 = xfwm4 just double check xfwm4 is there and it should be loading xfce window manager at start.

#4 2008-12-15 17:44:38

Pindakoe

And for number #3: just remove the mixer-icon on your panel, replace that by a normal 'launcher' which you use to start the mixer program of choice.

#5 2008-12-15 18:11:44

eriefisher

For number 3 I use absvolume

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

Board footer