Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-13 06:05:52

Invisible

not working at all, big problem

I don't know what happened with my xfce4, but it is not working at all. When I start a session in xfce I get nothing, only pidgin appears, no desktop, no panel, nothing, if I right click there is no menu, so I can't open a console.

I got a terminal with ctrl+f2 (or something similar) typed startxfce4 and the same happened. Then I went to the terminal again and restarted the computer, once again xfce is not working. All I can see is pidgin, that cannot be minimized to the icons area because it doesn't exist, and by pressing buttons iceweasel appeared, thanks to pidgin and the online help, so I can post here.

What can I do? looks like something is really messed up.

Thank you very much.

#2 2009-01-13 08:06:02

SimonJ
Website

Re: not working at all, big problem

What did your console start of XFCE say? Rename your .config folder and see if it's a setting or not.

Simon.                                                         (^_^)

TIP: Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
=====================================================================

#3 2009-01-14 10:15:20

Invisible

XFCE says nothing, and I don't know where should I look what the console says, sorry, I'm really noob sad

I renamed the .config directory and the problem continues, but the tips in the start of xfce reappeared and now I know I can launch a shell with alt+f2 and the name of the program, and with the shell I can launch everything else, that allows me to survive tongue with a very limited usability.

#4 2009-01-14 12:36:17

SimonJ
Website

Can you right click the desktop and add a panel? Then fill it to replace the lost one?

Simon.                                                         (^_^)

TIP: Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
=====================================================================

#5 2009-01-15 00:34:19

Invisible

No, I have no desktop. But I could start a panel from the terminal, and use it to enable the desktop in the xfce configuration, and then restore the old .config directory, and now everything works as if nothing happened.

Thank you very much.

Board footer