Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-19 08:41:51

gerograph

Using Gnome Themes in Xfce ? ... (watch out Linux Newbie)

Hi everybody,

I am new to Linux and to this forum. To make it short:

I managed to use this theme:  http://www.xfce-look.org/content/show.p … tent=19814     in xfce but the themes window borders are not available, anyway to convert, so that I can use this theme ?

O.k. longer Version: I am using a SAMep440 PPC Motherboard and got Debian installed on it. Because it is more a PPC Board for AMIGA OS4.1 and for the embedded market it has only 600Mhz. So I decided to use a lean Desktop like Xfce. I am absolutely new to Linux !!!
I found out, that the Gtk+ part of the theme mentioned works, but not the window borders...

Anybody an Idea, I already spent an hour searching the web an already got some bits an pieces, but the last one ist still missing...

#2 2009-01-19 17:58:24

Pindakoe

Re: Using Gnome Themes in Xfce ? ... (watch out Linux Newbie)

A theme consists of various elements, or put in a different way: you can theme (change appearance) of window-borders, buttons/sliders/colours separately. Gnome uses metacity as windowing manager and thus needs a theme for that to change te borders of a window. Xfce uses xfwm4 and needs a theme for that; it cannot use a metacity theme. The buttons, menu-bar appearance and sliders are defined by an GTK-theme. Both Xfce and Gnome use this. The Xfce looks site provides GTK and XFWM themes. Sometimes a GTK theme is packaged together with XFWM theeme info, sometimes with metacity (as it was designed for Gnome).

#3 2009-01-20 10:50:22

gerograph

So, no chance to use the window boarders of this theme with xfce4 window manager ?

#4 2009-01-20 19:31:31

Pindakoe

I am not aware of automated conversions, nor do I know enough of metacity themes vs xfwm themes -- some googling may help here. It may not hurt to just browse through Xfce-look's list of themes and see whether something similar is around which happens to have an xfw theme. Click on Themes, then on subheading Xfce to see themes for xfwm only.

#5 2009-06-05 07:10:25

crimesaucer

gerograph wrote:

So, no chance to use the window boarders of this theme with xfce4 window manager ?

Long story short:

xfce4 uses xfwm4 as a window manager. So it uses xfwm4 themes for your window themes.
gnome uses metacity for it's window themes.

If you look on xfce4-looks.org some people make xfwm4 themes that are similar to the metacity themes.

Check out this Murrine Xfwm theme: http://www.xfce-look.org/content/show.php?content=43083

..... and you can also use Compiz/Emerald to use emerald window themes that also look like metacity.

Board footer